Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Video  (Read 8012 times)

Catacomber

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
  • I love mice.
    • View Profile
    • Catacomber.com
Video
« on: January 04, 2009, 07:58:02 PM »

Is it possible to use a small Mov, or MP4 or WMV video file in Wintermute?
http://www.catacomber.com/
Code: WME Script
  1. Mnemonic is wonderful.

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Jyujinkai's WME Development Blog
Re: Video
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 09:22:44 PM »

No. Convert it to THEORA and then it will play fine. I think if you are good enough you can code your own codec support into wme but theora is built in and works perfectly.

http://res.dead-code.org/doku.php/kbase:tranzaudiosimple
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

Catacomber

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
  • I love mice.
    • View Profile
    • Catacomber.com
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 09:53:32 PM »

Thanks, Jyujinkai--is converting one easier than converting another?  That is among MP4, Mov or WMV?

Do you have a link to the best instructions for converting?

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 10:48:22 PM »

um, that link i posted tells you how to ocnvert them
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

Catacomber

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
  • I love mice.
    • View Profile
    • Catacomber.com
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 01:25:12 AM »

Thanks, Jyujinkai, I will try it.   :D

Catacomber

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
  • I love mice.
    • View Profile
    • Catacomber.com
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 01:09:46 AM »

Thanks again, Jyujinkai, this works extremely well.  Since my video doesn't have sound, I had to be careful to save it as video only--take out any check marks relating to audio or I got an error.  It was a very small video but now it's full screen, which looks very nice, but how would I change the size?  In Virtual Dub?

Catacomber

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
  • I love mice.
    • View Profile
    • Catacomber.com
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 02:16:24 AM »

Interestingly, I was able to do this in the code.

When the code was this:

2. Game.PlayTheora("video\Zarista.ogv",1,0,0,0);

The video played full screen.

When I changed the code to this:

1. Game.PlayTheora("video\Zarista.ogv",0,500,350,0);

The video played as its original, small size and was just about centered on the screen.

While I'll experiment with using the different programs mentioned in that link, f.e., Rad Video, Virtual Dub, etc., for my purposes, this works fine. This is a really nice feature. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 10:44:43 PM by Catacomber »

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 02:32:10 AM »

yea cool. There are many hundreds of freeware video editing stuff to help you with encoding and resizing, cropping or what not. Check out doom9.net for all your encoding needs.. they have all the info and a very active forum if you need any help with video stuff.

For most formats simply VDUB or VDUBMOD will do the trick for resizing and colour correcting and stuff. I suggest outputting as uncompressed then using THEORA to compress it after it is done.

Also I am not 100% you will have to check but theora native ratio is 16 pixels. So make sure you round off all your videos to 16pixels if you can. This will allow you to have seamless overlays on your background. if the file is NOT 16 pixel ration theora converter will slightly scale the image either directly into the file or into the decoding information. This will make the overlays on your background slightly off...

Have fun.

Catacomber

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
  • I love mice.
    • View Profile
    • Catacomber.com
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 03:29:57 AM »

Thanks, Jyujinkai, as an ex film/theater major this is an area I'd like to explore as fully as possible to weave it into a game.  Thanks for the great info.  :  )  It's fantastic.  :  )  Do you know of any free, in the public domain sites for videos, copyright free? 

There are 3 possibilities as I see it for using theora--make your own--buy from a place on the net or find freeware.  Just curious about freeware as if there are such it would be nice to see what they have. I bought 3 avis and they were a tad bit expensive I thought. Of course, I can reuse them but still.  :  )

And my last question, if you're not making your own, and you don't know of any freeware sites, what are the best sites to buy such files from?    :  )  I don't mind paying for something that is on point to what I'm doing but I would like to know what's out there. :  )  This is an area I just haven't explored before.

Is the best route to take your cell phone cam or digital camera on video out there?  ? 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 03:55:44 AM by Catacomber »

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 04:03:00 AM »

um... there are a number of film archives and stuff run by various film preservation societies that have tons of free stock footage. Um... I can dig up some links when i get home from work. Just look about I am sure google will find some... Most of these places are like library and will send you out tapes , you will need to encode them into digital yourself...... This kind of placees is where docos get all those tons of stock footage from... so have a look around.

Catacomber

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
  • I love mice.
    • View Profile
    • Catacomber.com
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 04:10:56 AM »

I will google them but if you have any links that would be most appreciated.  Thanks.  : )

Catacomber

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
  • I love mice.
    • View Profile
    • Catacomber.com
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 03:23:46 AM »

I have a video of an ocean wave scene with lightning but the thunder sound isn't in the video. 

I can put the command to play a thunder sound wav and then put the command to play the ogv file and it's nice and looks synchronized even though it isn't really--

but I'd like the wav sound to stop when or before the ogv video stops and not continue on after.  Is there a simple way to do this? The video is about 2-3 minutes long. The thunder will go on as long as I'd let it but I'd like to time it to stop when the video stops.

Since I'm changing scenes when the video stops--the simplest way is just to put the change scene code after the video.  But what if I weren't changing scenes?

P.S. If I use stop music to end the wav and then change scene--I see a flash of the old scene before it changes to the new scene--is there a way to get rid of that flash of the old scene before the new scene kicks in?

This is really 2 different questions--but I'm more concerned right now with that flash of the old scene after the video stops but before the new scene kicks in.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 03:41:27 AM by Catacomber »

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 08:04:09 PM »

P.S. If I use stop music to end the wav and then change scene--I see a flash of the old scene before it changes to the new scene--is there a way to get rid of that flash of the old scene before the new scene kicks in?
The proven way is to change scene first and play the video in the new scene :)

Regarding sound, you can do something like this:

1. Game.PlayMusic("blah.ogg");
  2. SomeEntity.PlayTheora("bleh.ogg");
  3. Sleep(1000); // wait as long as you need to
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Catacomber

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
  • I love mice.
    • View Profile
    • Catacomber.com
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 08:07:55 PM »

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :D  Sleep command is a very useful thing.  :  )
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 08:16:33 PM by Catacomber »

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 09:14:04 PM »

why not use a sound/video layup tool and embed the audio directly in the theora file?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.