Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

IRC channel - server: waelisch.de  channel: #wme (read more)

Author Topic: Hidden Object Game  (Read 5604 times)

anheric

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Hidden Object Game
« on: November 20, 2011, 08:49:46 PM »

First of all, since this is my first post hello to all fellow developers/enthusiasts here  ;D

I'm trying to make a Hidden Object Game(HOG) and I'm seriously stuck.
I'm very new to javascript (although I used jquery library very very much for the websites I build at work) but it seems my logic != javascript :P
I already found a forum where they discuss how a guy did a HOG and they share another source code of a game, but is 300MB and is downloaded at 14ks/s... *sad face*... i will start downloading it again tonight..
Ohh and the forum ( http://molier-artstudo.ucoz.ru/forum/9-125-1 )is in Russian so i rely on google translate QQ

Basically I'm trying to make simple function that when an entity/image is clicked, hide it and remove it from a list of objects(entities/images)
So if im correct I need :
a) a list of variables : the items
b) a place on bottom of the game where the list of items will reside and will each item will be removed/erased from the list when found. - (inventory??)
c) a function that will activate onClick and that will make the image hide
d) a randomizer that will pick 20 items the list of variables to be found each time we enter a scene of hidden objects

Ok I'm not asking of anyone to make the game for me - that would be a joke..
Still if anyone can point me the way or tell me how this is possible (maybe if any can share a source so i can understand the logic behind this -that would be overkill but still :D ) So please if anyone did/does a hidden object game, share your secrets with me ?!^^

I read and finished the tutorial successfully so i know at least the basics in wintermute.
already got the "Sierra right click interface" by Rocco which is awesome and very easy to understand - Thanks Rocco !
I'm really into adventure/HOG/puzzle games and im ready to learn javascript to make one ( or learn javascipt while making one :) )

jackslawed

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Hidden Object Game
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 09:59:31 PM »

Hi
I'm no expert, but it seems like WME should be easily able to handle HOGs.

In your scene, simply make each hidden object an entity, and then you can activate or manipulate them at will.  Attach a script to each entity something like this:

Code: [Select]
on "LeftClick"
{
   this.Active = false;
   // then apply some event to another object, your list of items
}

It's really easy to use Scene Edit to position your entities etc. You can make them all Active= false, and then activate a random selection
each time the scene loads

The list is a little trickier. Maybe a window object that loads text strings into 20 fields? The window could be hidden while searching, and then called using Game.LoadWindow each time an object is clicked.

The tricky part about the randomizer would be ensuring that you get twenty unique activated entities. You would need some counter, that each time checks whether a given entity is already activated, and stops once 20 different entities are activated. Perhaps a "for" loop?

As I said, I'm no expert, but it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult. Try using something like the script above to deactivate the entities in the demo scenes upon clicking.

Let me know if none of this makes sense, or if I've completely missed the point!

anheric

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 10:23:53 PM »

Omg thank you so much!
This absolutely makes sense and makes me realize how much I complicate simple things!

About the text strings in a window object, I absolutely get that even though I have no experience with window objects

You made it so simple, I was mashing my head 2 days now! I will give it a try and let you know :)
Thank you again for your very quick respond and for your time, huge help for me :D

jackslawed

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 10:27:54 PM »

No problem. I actually started experimenting myself, and it seems really easy to implement. I prefer point and click, but HOGs are so popular I'm surprised more people haven't tried WME for making them yet.

anheric

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 10:48:58 PM »

So true. or maybe its so easy, they dont need help from the forums ?! :P I have high respect towards point and click, but imo they require more storytelling skills and more planning than HOGs. That's why I'm leaning to hog for starting project, since I dont consider myself pure developer or something. I'm more into 2d art

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.