Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: General question help  (Read 4073 times)

rollo

• Lurker
    • View Profile
General question help
« on: March 13, 2013, 07:09:22 PM »

Hi. Firstly, what a great piece of software. I have 3basic questions which need clarifying.

1) Can WME do point-and-click as opposed to using an actor to walk around.

2) Is there a temp directory that WME uses when you run the game. For example, if i change a graphic, i have to compile the game to see the changes. Run game still shows the old graphic and text.

3) I am playing the demo wme_demo_3d from the projects folder and I am confused as when Trinity takes the teapot, it appears in the inventory but she walks around with it in her hand. Ideally, I assume that shouldn't be happening.

Thank you for any help you can give with regard to these questions.

anarchist

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
Re: General question help
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 08:43:20 PM »

1) If you mean whether a first person adventure can be created then yes you can. "Ghost in the sheet" is such a game, created on WME by metamorphium, a member of this forum.

2) I don't know about a temp directory. Make sure that if you are using Windows Vista or 7, you should not save your project in the WME installation folder because then you will not be able to save your changes, due to access rights.

3) That is just for showcase I believe. WME allows you to put it in the inventory and simply make the item disappear. But you can also attach an item on the actor as you can see in a demo, but it is not compulsory.

rollo

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 09:02:47 PM »

Thanks for you very much for your help.

rollo

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 11:31:42 AM »

I am still unable to see any changes when i run the game using ! in the menu or F5. I have refreshed the data package folder, but I am still seeing original old code. In order to see any changes I have to compile the game each time. Have I missed a setting somewhere?. Thanks

V1.9.001

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 03:58:44 PM »

So if after the changing of content (code, art, sound etc.) you still have the old content after running the game - it means that old content remains unchanged somewhere and runs. You need to check all the paths to the needed files. Seems that some of them placed out of data folder (or other main folder that you may to use) and have used path outside the package.

Can you give us screenshot of your project tree and example of path to one of the files that have issue when running?

I am still unable to see any changes when i run the game using ! in the menu or F5. I have refreshed the data package folder, but I am still seeing original old code. In order to see any changes I have to compile the game each time. Have I missed a setting somewhere?. Thanks

V1.9.001

Jose

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 04:11:29 PM »

Going in depth on the answer from 2.0, be careful with the absolute paths in the resources you're using in your project. Check if the resources that remain unchanged have an absolute path instead a relative one.

rollo

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 08:45:03 PM »

Thanks for reply. I will check and report back when I am next at comp. Thanks

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.