Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: undocumented methods and properties  (Read 3745 times)

joaomesq

• Teacher / Game Designer
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Nó Górdio
undocumented methods and properties
« on: February 12, 2005, 06:15:58 PM »

Just to warn everybody that the property Scene.Name is missing in the docs.

It's was obvious that it had to exist but it is undocumented. This (minor) problem makes me think that a community-based help file would be nice. For those with some programming background, undocumented or unorthodox features are nothing new, but for the inexperienced user it's the diference between using or not using the program. So here is my suggestion:

1 -  All Mnemonic have to do is "dump" the new method and property syntax and the rest of the us add description, examples and, if applicable, tutorials. When a new version of the engine is available, the documentation is freezed and released with the engine as stand-alone;

2 - To avoid new releases with unfinished documentation every 1st day of the month all docs should be complete;

2 - Mnemonic don't have to worry about writing docs;

What's your opinion?

EDIT: Just realised Scene.Name is actually a property. Sorry about that  :-\. Fixed
« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 06:20:55 PM by joaomesq »
Crisis is just another word for opportunity

deadworm222

• Regular poster
  • Wintermute Army
    • View Profile
Re: undocumented methods and properties
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 01:34:00 PM »

A Wiki-based system?

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 03:53:06 PM »

We were discussing something like that long long time ago at IRC, something like the PHP online documentation has. It would be nice, definitely, but the question is if anyone would contribute to such system :)
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

joaomesq

• Teacher / Game Designer
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Nó Górdio
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 05:04:20 PM »

I think everyone of us in our daily work could contribute something.

For instance, I'm currently building an Ultraedit Auto-Complete file of WME Script v. 1.3.2 for my personal use, but when it's finished I dont't mind (of course) to share it. It's purpose it's not perfect because Ultraedit doesn't do object type detection, but forces me to browse extensively through the methods and properties available.:-\

I think I saw somewhere is this forum several inventory scripts. Why don't put it in the docs as examples? They're already built, so the script author just have to adapt them.

In this case I knew Scene.Name existed but I couldn't find it in the docs, so I checked in the forum. After I would go to the docs and add the missing property. It makes sense to me. I would solve my problem and prevent other's problem at the same time.

You could argue that the forum exists to do this type of things but I think a more structured approach option would be better. For me is also important to have a copy in a file for those who can't be online all the time.
Crisis is just another word for opportunity

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 06:05:00 PM »

We were discussing something like that long long time ago at IRC, something like the PHP online documentation has. It would be nice, definitely, but the question is if anyone would contribute to such system :)

For this is the best WakaWikki system. We used something like this when I was working with NeoEngine. But still I find the
WME documentation very good.
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.