Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Blender Export Script...  (Read 16735 times)

raychaser

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Blender Export Script...
« on: October 23, 2007, 05:53:52 AM »

...is not ready yet  >:D ... Sorry

Hi folks. I spent all week poking at the blender .x export script. I would be so happy to be the hero and deliver a fully working product to this communty. If only I had another week I know I could crack this, but sadly I've run out of time and I need to get going with my actual project now.

Download the script here:
http://mattreimer.com/a/DirectX8Exporter.zip

It will look like "DirectXM1 (.x)" in the export menu of blender when you unzip this file and drop it into the scripts directory

It does work (kind of) but it will mean two or three extra steps in fragmotion before it works in WME. Why is this good? Well, it means that I can do all the modeling, rigging and animating in blender and only do simple cleanup steps in fragmotion. This is a step in the right direction I think.

Here's what I fixed:
  • Individual actions are now unique and correctly named animations in the .x
  • Material naming problem was fixed so that you can use multiple materials on a single model now. Before both materials would have the same name.
  • Added extra header information (but only the absolutely necessary stuff) into the .x file
  • I set all buttons to their required defaults so when you invoke the script in Blender don't change any of the settings. Just hit "Export All"

Problems still:
  • .x file crashes mview and DX SDK viewer unless you open it and export it in Fragmotion. This could be because it's using matrix keys and apparently some weird values for things like keyType which aren't in the DirectX specification but I'm theorizing here. It might be an easy fix, it might not. It's been almost 4 years since I did matrix multiplication so I'm really rusty  ???
  • The skeleton gets exported upside-down and must be mirrored on the y-axis in fragmotion. I'm SURE this is an easy fix but I never figured out where to put the minus sign
  • Empty frames are not exported.  For example if I export an animation with keyframes on frames 1 and 10 then in fragmotion it will show only 2 frames (1 and 2) and leave out the in-between ones. This is very odd because it clearly specifies the frame numbers as 1 and 10 in the .x file.

Now I'm exhausted and on a purely selfish note I have enough to continue my work in blender using fragmotion so I will challenge someone else to pick up the gauntlet and finish this so that we may all use the sheer splendour and magnificence that is Blender3D.

I have high hopes for this thread. Anyone?  ::wave

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
Re: Blender Export Script...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 12:12:28 PM »

Thanks raychaser.  :)

I made this topic sticky. If anyone improves it in the future please post it here.
fl*p

piere

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
  • Sorry for any bad english in my posts. Game on !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 09:14:10 AM »

Hey the link doesnt work... does anyone have another link they can post... or any similar programs that would be good?

Serious.Ray

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 01:23:36 AM »

The exporter shipped with the newest version of Blender 2.5 is quite good. It's still being improved and the developer is going to add the template for the some wintermute engine soon. http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=469&aid=22795&group_id=153
That's the link to it.

Settings to make:
The system remains: Left-Handed
If your model is rotated correctly according to the Blender viewports you should uncheck the "Rotate X 90 Degrees" option.
I'm checkin only
"Export Textures"
"Export Armatures"
choose "Animations:" -> "Keyframes Only" (thanks to an update now only the range of the keyframes you set in Blender is exported and not all available keyframes).
You can check "Verbose" to take a look in the console and see if there are any errors exporting it.

It might take some while exporting in which Blender might seem frozen.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 20 queries.