Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: Looping rooms  (Read 6016 times)

Scarpia

• Occasional poster
  • Rich kid trash web designer :-P
    • View Profile
    • junk dot dk
Looping rooms
« on: March 23, 2003, 07:34:46 PM »

Hi. I may be asking for something that WME can already do, but...

I would like to be able to make a looping room, like a city, with maybe three screen-width's worth of buildings and storefronts, and make the scene loop so that the actor can walk left or right infinitely, with the background and objects just repeating...

Scarpia

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re:Looping rooms
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2003, 09:00:59 AM »

Well, now you've got me. I really didn't think about this before. I believe it could be done with some nasty agressive scripting (i.e. periodically checking actor's position and "teleporting" him to the other edge of the scene when he crosses an invisible border), but the transition from one edge to another would be probably quite apparent. Hmmmm...
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Ionias

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • SOCKO! Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2003, 04:14:23 AM »

I do know this can be done entirely w/ scripting. Some one in the ROTN AGS boards has done a demo of this w/ AGS which doesn't support that feature.

You need to take a full scale room and add on to the end of the room the begining of the room. Then by keeping track of the player x,y like Mnemonic said you can just teleport the player to that new location. The scene will not appear to "jerk" because of the added length of the pre-existing background.

Brassfire

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • The Unknown Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2003, 07:01:14 AM »

So basically you have a small overlapping section of the room where if the actor moves left it loads the left view and if it moves right it loads the right view? And the actor is still in the same "place"?

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 21 queries.