Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: What type of image file  (Read 4200 times)

kori

• Lurker
    • View Profile
What type of image file
« on: October 22, 2005, 03:46:44 AM »

What type image files do I need to use with WME? JPG, GIF, BMP, TIFF, what? If WME can use any type image file, what would be best to use? I am referring to the background image, not the animations.

I have some images to use with WME, but at the present they are in the TIFF format.

Thanks
Kori

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
Re: What type of image file
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 02:17:19 PM »

WME currently supports BMP, TGA, JPG & PNG at 8bit, 16bit & 24bit colors. (TGA & PNG can have an alpha channel as well).

For backgounds I suggest the use of jpeg files since they are using a lossy compression and as a result they are a lot smaller than the rest. But don't overeact and make the files very small or you'll end up with a lot of nasty artifacts in your backgrounds. (In photoshop for example don't go bellow 8 in most cases)
fl*p

kori

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 06:10:16 PM »

Thank you for the information on file types. I suppose one should keep ones image files in TIFF or pdf file format for editing purposes, and only convert to jpg when importing into the game. I have noticed that each time you save a jpg image it degrades a little.

kori

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 09:12:21 AM »

I suppose one should keep ones image files in TIFF or pdf file format for editing purposes, and only convert to jpg when importing into the game.
Yes, absolutely. The artists usually keep the "source" image, with layers and stuff, whether it be PSD or TIFF or whatever and they only export a copy of the image in a more game-friendly format.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

kori

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 12:56:41 PM »

Thanks for the information on image files. I will do as you say and keep files in source (psd or tiff) for export to game.

Thanks
Kori

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 23 queries.