Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Strangest problem ever - registry path sound troubles  (Read 5777 times)

Mikael

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • MDNA Games
Strangest problem ever - registry path sound troubles
« on: December 04, 2017, 07:00:29 PM »

I just can't wrap my head around this: The sound for my Wintermute project has worked flawlessly this far. However, when I change the registry path, the sound suddenly only comes from the left channel! When I change back to the previous registry path, the sound comes from both channels again. This happens both with the compiled version and when I start the game from within WME. I'm on Win 8, but tested it on my Win 10 computer too, with the same result. It couldn't possibly be a hardware problem since it only affects my newly created registry paths.

When I take my old project files, from previous games, the same thing happens: The sound only comes from the left channel when I change the registry path, and works again when I change back. We're talking about small changes in the path, like changing a number.

The only thing I can think of that I've done between the working and the non-working registry paths is installing a little program called Audio Switch (which lets you change between audio sources with a hotkey) on both computers. I've uninstalled it without success.

I might add that I've studied the audio specifics on the newly created registry entries, and have found nothing that differs from the working entries.

Thankful for any suggestions!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 07:03:12 PM by Mikael »

Indra Anagram

• Occasional poster
  • Periodical returnee
    • View Profile
Re: Strangest problem ever - registry path sound troubles
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 09:34:18 PM »

However, when I change the registry path, the sound suddenly only comes from the left channel! When I change back to the previous registry path, the sound comes from both channels again. This happens both with the compiled version and when I start the game from within WME. I'm on Win 8, but tested it on my Win 10 computer too, with the same result. It couldn't possibly be a hardware problem since it only affects my newly created registry paths.

Hey Mikael,

I am sorry for asking this, but why do you need to change the registry path? What are you trying to achieve by doing this?

I am quite new to WME and don't understand much in computers, so I just wanted to know.
Owls are not what they seem...

Mikael

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • MDNA Games
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 05:11:53 AM »

Hi Indra!

The registry path (typically) has to be changed at least a few times. I was now going to change it from "(game title) - pre beta" to "(game title) -beta" for example. I will a also make several final versions of my game, which can not share the same registry path. But regardless of changes, my problem was that ALL new registry paths I created (including the default ones created by WME) displayed the problem.

However, I found the root of the problem. WME creates a key in the registery under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software. It has several entries (I'm sure I'm using the wrong term here), of which one is MasterVolume. The specifics for each entry seems to be created by your computer. For some reason, the value for MasterVolume is now set to ""ffff" on my two Windows computers. When I look at my previously created keys, it is set to "ffffffff". Changing this value solved the sound problem. So, for some reason, my machines have suddenly decided to set this value differently than before. So the problem was my computers, not in WME. Most likely, it has to do with the software I installed recently.

Indra Anagram

• Occasional poster
  • Periodical returnee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 06:32:06 PM »

However, I found the root of the problem.

Hi Mikael!

I am glad you found solution of your problem.
Owls are not what they seem...

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 23 queries.