Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: Action/Shooting script.  (Read 5776 times)

VirusPunk

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Action/Shooting script.
« on: October 24, 2005, 08:03:39 AM »

Are there any scripts that lets your 3D character shoot in the game? If so I would like to know where I can get it.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Action/Shooting script.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 07:03:18 AM »

Although it has been discussed before, I don't think anyone scripted shooting in WME yet. I think it depends on if you want to actually see flying projectiles in the game or not. If you do, you'd have to spawn a 3D actor object representing the projectile and move it through the scene. Otherwise you'd only have to use some calculation to check if there's any object in actor's line of sight, and if there is, it's hit by the shot.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

organican

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 07:14:03 AM »

Although it has been discussed before, I don't think anyone scripted shooting in WME yet. I think it depends on if you want to actually see flying projectiles in the game or not. If you do, you'd have to spawn a 3D actor object representing the projectile and move it through the scene. Otherwise you'd only have to use some calculation to check if there's any object in actor's line of sight, and if there is, it's hit by the shot.

Another way might be to turn the cursor into a crosshair.

organican

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 07:38:31 AM »

I'll explain a little better what I mean...

When you click somewhere, the guy or girl goes there.

But if you rightclick, the player get into a "shooting mode".

Then the cursor is changed into a crosshair and is used for firing the gun.

Another rightclick, and the player is back to the regular walking mode.
Really simple.

The only thing with this is how to include a "look", "talk" and "use" icons, if you're going have that.

One way could be to have them pop up if you move the cursor into the corner of the screen, or else if you click on an icon somewhere.

Something like that.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 07:43:14 AM by organican »

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 07:48:00 AM »

Yes, you're right, that would be probably easier to implement, since it's basically still point'n'click :) If I remember correctly Blade Runner was using this approach.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

VirusPunk

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 07:59:03 AM »

That would be so awesome if some one could do it, but then we would have to create a damage mechanism, where if you shoot a certain object it gets hurt.

organican

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 12:16:30 PM »

That would be so awesome if some one could do it, but then we would have to create a damage mechanism, where if you shoot a certain object it gets hurt.

;D The way moi see it... There are three options then.

Either use the "click and shoot" idea I mentioned upthread.

If it's too hard to make a damage mechanism, maybe only allow them to shoot "special targets". Like monsters, and maybe a few things like glass panes, a few weak crappy doors, etc.

Hidden behind some crates  ::), our hero practices target shooting at a window on the other side of the room. The local zombie walks over there to see what's going on, and thus you can either shoot him  :'( in the back, or run away. Great combination beteen action, strategy and puzzling. Something like this would be kinda nice. :)

Another way to do the shooting...
When the player right-clicks or presses the button, the bullets are just fired in the pointer's direction. Which means that they pass through anything and everything between the player and the cursor.

The third way is if the bullets are fired in the precise direction the player character is turned.

They all have their ups and downs. So choose wisely.

Edit: You have a PM. So check your 'inbox'.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 02:13:41 PM by organican »

VirusPunk

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 01:48:45 AM »

I plan on making a Resident Evil game using the 3D character game demo "Trinity" (wme_demo_3d) engine that is included in the package, the camera angles remind me of Resident Evil so I thought I could probably make a Resident Evil type of game using that engine.

All I would really need is a shooting script were the 3D character can pick up a handgun and shoot at specific targets on the map, such as zombies. And like some one said, while the gun is equipped the pointer will turn into a cross-hair instead allowing you to shoot at specific areas in the game. One point and click game similar to this is Harvester for PC, which allowed you to use fire arms and melee weapons.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 02:05:45 AM by VirusPunk »

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 24 queries.