Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: Problems with dual screen  (Read 4283 times)

adonf

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
Problems with dual screen
« on: April 11, 2006, 01:56:37 PM »

Hi again !

I have a dual screen configuration (nividia 6800 + 2 screens: one on analog and one on digital output) that seems to be causing troubles in Wintermute.

The "Game settings" dialog box shows 2 display devices, but the second one is always set by default.

If I manually select the first screen then start the game everything is fine, either in windowed mode or full screen. The only minor problem is that when i drag the window into the other screen the frame rate drops a lot, i'll explain that later.

If I keep the second screen as selected by default, it's a whole different story: in windowed mode the game opens on the left screen (aka screen 1) and runs at 20 FPS instead of about 800. when I drag the window into screen 2 then i get 800 FPS. In full-screen mode, the game opens on the right screen (screen 2) but the mouse pointer stays in screen 1 and can only move in a 800x600 area.

So what I'd like to know is how to get the device selection screen to select the first screen by default and not the second.

I'm also surprised that there should be such a big drop in frame rate when the game runs in a window on the wrong screen, because I haven't noticed anything like that in other programs. Any ideas ?

Thanks,
  Olivier
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 02:05:47 PM by adonf »
I am the Milkman. My milk is good.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Problems with dual screen
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 05:20:02 PM »

WME should remember the previously selected device. The devices are identified by their GUID identifier. The behaviour you describe would suggest both devices use the same identifier (could you confirm this? the previously selected GUID is stored in registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\[the path defined in ProjectMan]\Video\DeviceGuid). If they do use the same ID, it would need some change to remember also device index or something.

As for the framerate drop, I can't really say. Do both screens use the same resolution/color depth?

Unfortunately I can't test these things properly, because I don't have a dual screen system, so I'll be grateful for any feedback on improving WME's dual screen support.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

adonf

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 05:46:27 PM »

The GUID stored in the registry is the same regardless of the display that is used.

Both screens have the same colour depth but they have a different resolution.
I am the Milkman. My milk is good.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 06:11:26 PM »

Thanks, I'll look into what can be done about it.
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Stucki

• Frequent poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Schach-Welten
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 03:23:23 PM »

i am working with dual monitors and got the following problems after installing the newest beta 3 ...

- the scene preview in the project man doesnt displays the png transparencies anymore even if the settings are turned to accelerated mode ...
- the scene editor displays the pngs transparencies correctly at the start. but if i adjust the window sizes for better viewing the entitienames it changes the png transparencies to not transparent ....

i am using a radeon 9600

greets
stucki

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 03:44:01 PM »

Uh, are you sure it's related to beta 3? I'm not aware of any changes that might have caused this. Can anyone else confirm that?

Stucki

• Frequent poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Schach-Welten
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 04:36:16 PM »

i did not install the beta 1 and 2
so i cant say if it would have been the same with them ....

greets
stucki

Stucki

• Frequent poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Schach-Welten
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 02:14:31 PM »

there are a few other things occuring with two monitors active :

when i start my game from the projectman there seems to be some grafic_calculating in the background.
at the begining all desktop icons on the second display disappear what causes my game to break for some milliseconds
after a few second the desktop icons reappear causing the game to interrupt for some milliseconds again ....

its not really a problem but its visible to the eye and looks a little distracting...

another thing is the longer i work with projectman and one or more scenes open the slower windows gets.
and sometimes i cant use the taskbar for switching between scenes or programms ...

even not a big thing. but i thought i should mention it ...

any ideas ??

greets
stucki

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 12:06:44 PM »

I fixed the problem with alpha channel getting lost (it wasn't actually related to multimon environment). As for the icons thingie, I'm unable to replicate that, I'd guess it's related to drivers.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.