Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: Animation channels  (Read 4253 times)

adonf

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
Animation channels
« on: November 20, 2006, 03:14:54 PM »

Hi again,

We're having trouble with animation channels, I just can't get them to work. Is there something specific to be done before we can play several animations on the same object ?

Thanks,
Olivier
I am the Milkman. My milk is good.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Animation channels
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 06:55:00 PM »

The only thing I can think of is that the animation should only use keyframes for the bones it's supposed to affect and leave the other bones alone. The channels are not combined; the last one affecting a bone always wins.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

adonf

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 07:33:28 PM »

That is what we do except that we use dummies instead of bones.

The object I'm trying to animate is a pendulum that goes down on its wire every once in a while. We have a main looping animation where the weight goes left and right, and several non-lopping animations where it goes down a few centimetres. The effect I'm trying to achieve is to have the pendulum go down at any point of its oscillating cycle.

We're using dummies and not bones because we want them to be animated independantly, and bones always have some sort of IK chain. But we tried bones anyway and it didn't seem to change anything: the main animation plays, but not the channelled ones...

We just put "buffer" dummies to the hierachy to make sure that no dummies influenced their neighbours, but it doesn't change anything. We also made a special animation with just frame 0 to be extra extra sure that no keyframes are shared by the animations but it still doesn't work.

Any ideas ? Or maybe there is a better way to to what I want ?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 07:40:58 PM by adonf »

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 09:34:27 PM »

Any ideas ? Or maybe there is a better way to to what I want ?
Perhaps for this purpose it would be simpler just to adjust the .PosY attribute of the pendulum "actor"..? You'd have to set its .DropToFloor property to false though.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

adonf

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 06:14:59 PM »

I think that the Pandasoft X exporter creates frames for all nodes, that could be the reason why the secondary animations don't play...

Perhaps for this purpose it would be simpler just to adjust the .PosY attribute of the pendulum "actor"..? You'd have to set its .DropToFloor property to false though.

I don't think that would work. For the moment we are trying to stretch the wire and I can't see how that would be possible with an object that just moves up and down (we can see the top of the wire)

I'll look into particles ans see if I can use them for this...

adonf

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 12:35:11 PM »

The animation channels are working well now. The reason why they didn't work before is because I'm stupid.

Thanks for your help, Mnemonic

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.