Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: Talking while Walking  (Read 2901 times)

AcidArrow

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Talking while Walking
« on: June 05, 2005, 09:26:49 PM »

Hello there. I recently started using Wintermute (I was using AGAST before), and the forums and documentation served their purpose well enough to help me solve my problems. But I've come to one problem that I'm having difficulties to solve.

How can I have the actor, walk and talk at the same time?

I tried something like.

actor.GoToAsync(x, y);
actor.TalkAsync("blah");
Sleep(1000);
actor.TalkAsync("blah");
Sleep(1000);
etc

but each time it gets to the Sleep lines, the actor stops walking. Without the sleep lines, it parses all of them at once and only the last one is displayed (which is normal).

So I'm guessing I have to make a new entity that follows the actor, and does the talking instead? or is there an easier way?...

And another question: how can I control the "panning" of the scene? I have a 1000x480 scene, and game res is 640x480. The actor enters from the right, but when the scene starts, it pans all the way from left until it reaches the actor, and then follows the actor.

PS: Thank you for making wintermute :)

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Talking while Walking
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 07:45:05 AM »

Hi and welcome to the forum,

So I'm guessing I have to make a new entity that follows the actor, and does the talking instead? or is there an easier way?...
No, I'm afraid you'll have to go this hard way, because it's not directly supported by the engine (one state always cancels the other).

And another question: how can I control the "panning" of the scene? I have a 1000x480 scene, and game res is 640x480. The actor enters from the right, but when the scene starts, it pans all the way from left until it reaches the actor, and then follows the actor.
Put the following line to the scene_init.script:

Scene.SkipTo(actor);

This will move the "camera" to your actor immediately.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.