Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: Ambient light for scene  (Read 5390 times)

adonf

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
Ambient light for scene
« on: March 02, 2007, 06:43:21 PM »

Hi,

Our artists are complaining about the lack of ambient lighting in Wintermute. They have to put the scene lights behind the camera or the characters can get very dark, so the 3D actors are always lit the same way and the real-time shadows do not match the hand-drawn shadows from the scene. With ambient lighting they could put the 3D lights at the same position as the light sources and still have a realistic scene.

We can always put omni lights around the scenes as suggested here, but it's a tedious process for something that could be done in 3 mouse clicks and the result wouldn't be perfect. Another option might be to set an ambient colour in the actor's material but I'm not sure that it works and if it does then the colour is set once for all scenes in the game unless we export a separate mesh for every kind of lighting (night, day, indoors...), that's not convenient either.

Is there a chance we might be able to set ambient lighting per scene in future versions of Wintermute ? Either in script or in the editor would be nice.

Thanks,
Olivier
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 06:45:25 PM by adonf »
I am the Milkman. My milk is good.

Razorback

• Lurker
  • Open the pod bay doors.
    • View Profile
    • CG Portfolio
Re: Ambient light for scene
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 04:21:42 AM »

In my experience I only need like 5 omni lights to do the trick, doesn't take more than 10 seconds.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.