Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: iPad 3  (Read 5104 times)

Dan Peach

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Viperante - Game Development
iPad 3
« on: March 22, 2012, 08:20:54 PM »

Hi,

My game runs at 1024x768 - the iPad3 resolution is double that, so I'm just wondering if anyone knows how the iPad3 would display it? Would it display it fullscreen, or effectively in a box in the middle of the screen?

Thanks.  :)

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
Re: iPad 3
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 09:20:26 PM »

All apple iDevices I have tried so far maximizes all applications/games so I expect your game to scale to fullscreen.
fl*p

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 09:37:55 PM »

Yeah, if everything goes right, WME Lite should scale the image up to the device's native resolution.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Dan Peach

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 09:42:45 PM »

Cool. Thanks guys.  :)

MaaS

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 03:37:31 PM »

Talking about screen resolutions and ios+wme lite... I would like to make a multiplataform adventure, for pc/mac/iphone/ipad... Monstly the last two, but anyway I'm considerating the diferent resolutions for my pipeline.

Right now, there are 2 resolutions for iphone and 2 for ipad... How you deal with this on wme lite? I should have different resolution rooms? what about scripts and objects?

The retina ipad 3 is at 2048x1536. If I provide native resolution artwork, is wme lite prepared for ipad 3? And is there any problem with backgrounds being at that resolution or more (for scrolling), etcetc? The wiki says that the max texture resolution is 1024x1024, normal thing on 2D over 3D also, but generally you have everything sliced into atlases, even the background... so, how is this handled on wme lite?...

And the same would happens working at 720 or 1080p for mac/pc port...

Any help or advice will be welcome :) Thank you all!

Dan Peach

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 04:43:34 PM »

As I understand it (I'm still new to all this Mac/iOS stuff), if you want to create a universal iOS app you can do one of two things. You can either create the game with the highest possible resolution and then WME will downscale it on smaller screens, or you can create multiple packages, one for each device, and include them all in the app, and WME Lite will choose the package it needs depending on what device it's running on.

There seems to be advantages and disadvantages to both though. If you create one set of hi-res graphics for the iPad, then the aspect ratio for the iPhone will be slightly wrong, giving you some black bars at the side, as the iPad is 4:3 and the iPhone isn't. But, it means you only need one set of graphics. If you use multiple packages then you need to include all of them in the app which will create a larger app to download, but you can use the correct aspect ratio for each device.

That's as I understand it so far.  :)

Presumabely with the texture size, you can simpy have two 1024 textures, and then put them side by side in the scene layer to create a 2048 scene. Not sure about that as I've not got into that yet.  :)

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 24 queries.