Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: Editor object stopped working in Russian version  (Read 3785 times)

Kaz

• Arberth Studios
  • Regular poster
  • The story is the game
    • View Profile
    • Info on 'Rhiannon' & 'Coven'
Editor object stopped working in Russian version
« on: May 14, 2009, 01:27:02 PM »

Hi all

We have a password as one of our puzzles, done by an editor in a window. Works in the English version and the German version, but not in the Russian version, even though the scripts and windows are identical in all three versions. The cursor doesn't appear in the Russian and data entry is met with a bleep.

The window is self.GoExclusive(); which it must be or it wouldn't have worked in the others.

The arial font is set to CHARSET 10, but when we sent a minigame to Russia to test it with CHARSET = 1 it worked. So we tried the Minigame's font settings in the main game. And it failed. Duh?

We're baffled.

Any ideas?
\"Fans of popular horror adventures like Scratches and Barrow Hill should start bracing themselves for another haunting experience, as independent developer Arberth Studios has announced production on its debut title Rhiannon - Curse of the Four Branches.\" - AdventureGamers.com

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Editor object stopped working in Russian version
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 04:47:34 PM »

How do you enter the data? Do you have Russian regional settings installed?
I'm not aware of anything in WME code that might emit a bleep.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Kaz

• Arberth Studios
  • Regular poster
  • The story is the game
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 01:24:05 PM »

It's just an editor box that works in German and English but not in the Russian version, presenting no cursor.

Let's start there. Why might there be no cursor in one version when there is in others, before we enter anything? (BTW, we don't describe a cursor in the box, in any version).

Be really grateful for a quick reply, because we're due to upload the loca and this is the only thing preventing that.

Thanks for the help.
\"Fans of popular horror adventures like Scratches and Barrow Hill should start bracing themselves for another haunting experience, as independent developer Arberth Studios has announced production on its debut title Rhiannon - Curse of the Four Branches.\" - AdventureGamers.com

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 01:41:41 PM »

I don't know. Perhaps the Russian font is bigger and won't fit into the editor? Edit the window in WindowEdit, stretch the editor control, see if the cursor appears.
Will you answer my question now? I'd be really interested in what kind of "bleep" you're getting.
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Kaz

• Arberth Studios
  • Regular poster
  • The story is the game
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 03:11:15 PM »

Hi

Thanks for coming back so quickly.

We can see the cursor in the editor box in WindowEdit and it looks right - it just doesn't appear when we run the game. We've resized the editor as you suggested but it makes no difference.

I'm not sure where the bleep is coming from, so I'm not sure how to describe it - it was happening on any key except 'Esc' being pressed. Nor is it consistent - we get the bleep in the compiled version but not in the debug version.

The window has three controls, this editor and two buttons. They don't overlap and the buttons work.

Cheers

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 05:50:34 PM »

I'm unable to reproduce this. I see cursor even with Cyrillic TrueType font.

However, it's true that the editor control doesn't cope well with utf-8 string tables. It's one of the few places in WME dependent on regional settings of Windows, because internally the editor converts Unicode text to local codepage, so it will only work on systems with Russian codepage.

Kaz

• Arberth Studios
  • Regular poster
  • The story is the game
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 06:27:19 PM »

Hi Mnem

In that case I'm going to have to ask you for The Big One. Can I send you the code and will you tell me what we're doing wrong?

Thanks

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 08:26:44 AM »

That would be helpful.

Kaz

• Arberth Studios
  • Regular poster
  • The story is the game
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 12:34:56 PM »

Stand down - we found it by a process of elimination.

It was in the font file and it was daft. We had an Arial font file and forgotten that this was used in a development version for putting messages on the screen, no longer used. But to put messages against coloured backgrounds, we had sent the font colour to white - and the editor background is, erm, white... :-[ :-[ :-[   

So sorry.

Thanks for all the help.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.