Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

IRC channel - server: waelisch.de  channel: #wme (read more)

Author Topic: Localizing Subtitles  (Read 3642 times)

Kaz

• Arberth Studios
  • Regular poster
  • The story is the game
    • View Profile
    • Info on 'Rhiannon' & 'Coven'
Localizing Subtitles
« on: March 07, 2010, 12:20:32 PM »

Hi all

The release announcement http://forum.dead-code.org/index.php?topic=2346.0 says that WME now allows .SUB files to consult the string table, so subtitles can be easliy localized - but the detail of this is apparently not documented anywhere else.  :(

•The video subtitle files (.sub) can now use the "localizable" form of text ("/string_id/actual text") which means you can localize video subtitles using the string table, just like any other in-game text.

In the spirit of DIY experimentation I've tried:
Code: [Select]
{2}{62} /Tony01_1/
{2}{62} /Tony01_1/Hi Abi, it's Tony here. Sorry to hear about your loss - your great-aunt wasn't it?
{2}{62} "/Tony01_1/"
{2}{62} "/Tony01_1/Hi Abi, it's Tony here. Sorry to hear about your loss - your great-aunt wasn't it?"
and even the literal, but desperate
{2}{62} ("/Tony01_1/Hi Abi, it's Tony here. Sorry to hear about your loss - your great-aunt wasn't it?")

But sadly, I get the literal content of the sub file every time, slashes and all.

Does anybody how to make .sub files talk to the string table as the release doc claims? Even if you've only a snippet of information, let me have it and I will attempt to compile and post the definitive 'how-to' on this.

BTW, can anybody also please point me to where it is described how to format and position the output of the .SUB file? Mine hugs the bottom of the screen, in a small, green font, but I don't know how I might have told it to do that.

Thanks

\"Fans of popular horror adventures like Scratches and Barrow Hill should start bracing themselves for another haunting experience, as independent developer Arberth Studios has announced production on its debut title Rhiannon - Curse of the Four Branches.\" - AdventureGamers.com

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Localizing Subtitles
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 12:38:06 PM »

I believe there shouldn't be a space between the frame number and the subtitle.

{2}{62}/Tony01_1/

should work.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Kaz

• Arberth Studios
  • Regular poster
  • The story is the game
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 12:57:32 PM »

aargh! And it does. Why didn't I think of that?

Last thing - how do I control where the SUB output appears on the screen, size and position?

Thanks
\"Fans of popular horror adventures like Scratches and Barrow Hill should start bracing themselves for another haunting experience, as independent developer Arberth Studios has announced production on its debut title Rhiannon - Curse of the Four Branches.\" - AdventureGamers.com

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 01:26:29 PM »

I answered the other thread in the meantime. You can only change the font (the "Video font" property in ProjectMan). The position is fixed.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Kaz

• Arberth Studios
  • Regular poster
  • The story is the game
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 03:25:31 PM »

Thanks Mnemonic.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 23 queries.