Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: Wintermute Dev Kit - I just d/l it - have questions  (Read 8941 times)

AlienBZ

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Wintermute Dev Kit - I just d/l it - have questions
« on: May 12, 2012, 03:33:46 AM »

Hi. I'm new to this. I'd like to use Wintermute engine to create a game or 2. Sounds cool. Also, I was referred here by a friend who linked me to the site (never knew about it). I understand that I can use my digital photos in the wintermute engine for the game scenery, I've loads and loads of digital photos stored on DVD's sitting in my office, thought I was going to use them to create comic books, but now using them to create games (my own kind of games) sounds super-cool, even better than using the photos to create comics. So I'm wondering, since I'd rather not record my voice for the in-game dialogue, can this be text-based dialogue instead of sound (voice) dialogue?

Also I just d/l .net framework, and Direct X 9.0 SDK update from the Microsoft website - will this version of Direct X work well with the Wintermute engine that I just d/l?

Thanks in advance. 

EDIT - I'm in school to be a computer tech. Creating games, comic books is just a hobby for me. Computer tech will be my job hopefully starting in 2013, I'll be taking visual basic at school this coming fall.

Do I need visual basic in order to code games in the Wintermute engine?

Will Visual Basic be of any help to me in the Wintermute engine at all?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 04:25:10 AM by AlienBZ »

eborr

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
Re: Wintermute Dev Kit - I just d/l it - have questions
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 09:22:42 AM »

The latest version of the 9.xx sequence is 9.0c which is the one best to use.

Regarding Visual Basic, currenlty I teach programming at a college and my view of Visual Basic is that it no longer a good primer for learning how to write software. This is because it surrounds the developer in so much "stuff" that it hides many of the basic skills that the programmer needs to develop..  It's fine as a platform if all you ever want to do is to write applications in visual basic, but thats about it.

In practice we have found when we move to a more "typical" programming language we have make our student "unlearn" much of what they have done.

As regarding Wintermute you don't need VB installed, the WME scripting language is much closer to Java, and it's quite a nice language to develop in. If you want some background then I would recommend you look out for some tutorials in Java script.

Spellbreaker

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Apeiron Studios
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 05:07:22 PM »

You don't need anything installed to develop WME Games. You should read the wiki. WME has it's own scripting language. Visual Basic is something completely different.

AlienBZ

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 06:15:31 PM »

I think I understand that the Wintermute engine uses programming languages such as C++, C#, etc, the description on the homepage where you d/l the Wintermute engine from mentions these but not Visual Basic.

I haven't read the wiki. I don't know where to find the wiki in the first place - help?

Last night was my first time here. I don't know my way around these boards nor this site.

Since the homepage mentioned languages such as C# and C++, I just ordered a book: "Teach Yourself C++,  seventh edition, by Al Stevens." from Amazon.com, b/c I do now know C++, I took Java in school in 2005, but it was hard for me to understand it since I don't have any experience with programming languages, but I passed Java with a B in my finals, This Java that I took in school was sort of a intro to Java, I'm lucky I passed with a B.

So did I order the right book (Teach yourself C++)?

If you want some background then I would recommend you look out for some tutorials in Java script.

Ok, I'll go for this. Links, please?

Also, can you guys recommend a java book for beginners that I can buy at the local Barnes & Noble bookstore, b/c tomorrow is Mom's Day (Sunday) and I'm hoping Mom and I will go out tomorrow, she'll drop me off at Barnes & Noble with my laptop while she shops, and I might be able to pick up such a book then and there?

If so, title, please?

Price?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 06:24:02 PM by AlienBZ »

Spellbreaker

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Apeiron Studios
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 08:40:22 PM »

I think you got something totally wrong here.

WIntermute Engine is a tool which is created for ( but not limited to ) creating adventure games. You don't need any kind of Programming Language. Only the WME Script Language itself, which is explained in the demos, WME's online help and the wiki. You won't find any book about it in your store.

What you can download here too, is the source code of WME. You only need it if you want to change the Engine, but you absolutely don't need it to create Adventure games.

So yes, you bought the wrong book for this purpose ;)

Greets,

Spellbreaker

AlienBZ

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 11:02:16 PM »

I've found the Wintermute tutorials, it's a lot of material to cover, so I started saving all the tuts that I thought I'd need as a pdf for printing on paper so I could have it bond at the local Office Depot store, but then I discovered there's the online book, which I tried looking for a link to d/l all the contents for later printing, but then again, it seems like so much material to print out that it looks like I'd have to somehow get myself an already printed-out compilation (on paper) of all the material from the tuts (along with the tut graphics) on how to create my first adventure game, including using my own digital photos for the scenery, creating the actors, etc, to create exactly the kind of game that I'd like to create, so is there some way that I can get the complete printout of all these Wintermute tutorials, so I can work my way from beginning to end?

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 12:29:53 PM »

I'm afraid there is no pdf version of the online WME Book at the moment. You have to manually copy/paste the contents yourself and then print them. It shouldn't be that time consuming imo.
fl*p

AlienBZ

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 03:16:42 PM »

I'm afraid there is no pdf version of the online WME Book at the moment. You have to manually copy/paste the contents yourself and then print them. It shouldn't be that time consuming imo.

That's what I'm doing - I'm saving the webpages as seen from my Safari browser as a pdf, which I'll print out and take to office depot later for binding, but gee, the resultant print in the saved pdf's is sooo tiny - too small to read comfortably, I'll have to use a magnifying glass to read the printouts, so isn't there any was to make all the print/graphics bigger?

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Jyujinkai's WME Development Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 04:01:59 PM »

Wintermute comes with a good CHM file.. there is a lot of free ways to convert this to pdf and other ebook formats... try

http://www.primopdf.com/ or http://www.bisenter.com/chmmagic/
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 04:22:15 PM »

That's what I'm doing - I'm saving the webpages as seen from my Safari browser as a pdf, which I'll print out and take to office depot later for binding, but gee, the resultant print in the saved pdf's is sooo tiny - too small to read comfortably, I'll have to use a magnifying glass to read the printouts, so isn't there any was to make all the print/graphics bigger?

There must be an option in safari when exporting to pdf. Or you can make the text in the page larger (also a browser option) and then print to pdf. I'm not using safari so I don't know exactly how to do it.
fl*p

AlienBZ

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 05:09:29 PM »

Now I guess I'll have to do all that saving and exporting (I did this to a lot of the files that were posted online) these files all over again?

Yes, my browser (Safari) does have an option to export to pdf - that's what I used yesterday to save all the material, except that the text was very small.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 05:18:07 PM by AlienBZ »

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.