Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

IRC channel - server: waelisch.de  channel: #wme (read more)

Author Topic: tools for making backgrounds?  (Read 4155 times)

Zaher

• Lurker
    • View Profile
tools for making backgrounds?
« on: March 23, 2005, 08:32:31 PM »

sorry for my newbie questions,but Iam new to this engine and want to gain some info
what are the programs u use to make 3d pre-rendered backgrounds?for example the one seen in the wme_demo_3d project...I think no one mention this before!

don't tell me to use 3d studio max or Maya...,I have those complicated programs and I don't have time to learn them,I want something easy and good at the same time :)

thanks

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
Re: tools for making backgrounds?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 09:08:40 PM »

You buy software for several thousand $ and don't want to waste time learning it?

Whatever. Some of use use Blender, it's powerful, but not exactly easy to learn.
If you want something simple, take Bryce. It's very limited in terms of modeling, but it's easy to use. If you want to do real 3d modeling and stuff, you have to invest time in learning a "real" 3d apllication. If not, you should perhaps consider to search someone who does the graphics for you. Or you can buy premade models, there are tons of shops on the internet who sell each and everything you can imagine - but usually for a not so low price :-)

Ize

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 12:31:55 AM »

i recommend... GOOGLE  ;D
you can find many 3d models for free by using the right search keywords and there are many tools out there to convert between the different model formats

organican

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 12:10:59 PM »

If you don't want to work with these advanced programs, and if you can't get anyone to help you with the graphics either,
maybe you should consider trying a different approach.
There are like a million different ways to make graphics for your game, from clay and natural materials to pencil drawings to taking pictures of real places,
to making it all in photoshop, to hacking into and old Nintendo 8-bit system and creating your graphics from there....
The possibilities are endless...

Why do all (adventure) games have to be either prerendered 3D graphics or some cartoonish network thing?

I mean there are so many more...
Oil paintings, manga/anime, abstract art, aschii, graffitti, surrealism, realism, t' cetera.

So what I'm saying is that, if you can't do this, then do that.
Don't underestimate the power of Photoshop!

But only after you have run out of other options.

Your vision is, after all, your vision. N' stuff.

Rock da cashbah! Woo-hoo!

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 12:22:09 PM »

This thread had gone off-topic but for a good reason.

I can't agree more with organican. Imo the graphics in adventure games are getting more and more similar and boring. We need something new, something... "dREamy"....  ;D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 12:31:02 PM by odnorf »
fl*p

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.