Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: What do you think about 3D Game studio?  (Read 5449 times)

PoselSmrti

What do you think about 3D Game studio?
« on: August 22, 2005, 07:24:06 PM »

Hi! ;D

Is there anyone, who is developing a game with engine called 3D Game Studio? What do you think about this program? It is a great or boring program? :)

Thx.

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
Re: What do you think about 3D Game studio?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 08:36:10 PM »

I worked with it a few years ago (A4, actual version is A6), so my info is slightly outdated :-) , but it was a nice engine then, easy to learn and powerful for it's time. Meanwhile it has of course become much better and has a lot of nice features like a more powerful script language, shader support, an SDK and so on ... I'd say for it's price it's a very good engine if you want to go the realtime 3d route.

I think Orange Brat is developing his game with 3dGS, so he can tell you more about it.

nuclear_winter

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think about 3D Game studio?
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 08:59:25 AM »

I also work with GameStudio, mainly modelling. In my opinion A6 is a good and solid engine and includes an entire game development suite. It is not the among the most advanced engines on the market, but that is compensated by an easy scripting language and tons of template scripts for almost everything that can be done with it. When i mentioned a complete suite i meant:
- a model editor (that is very weak, but serves to import and convert models properly to the A6 MDL format.
- a level editor (looks and works very similar to Hammer for HL and its actually very good)
- the level editor also serves as a compiler to publish the game .exe
- a script editor (decent, nothing special here)

There are various price configurations, i own the commercial version ($200), which is good, only thing they want is to display the A6 logo for a second at the beginning of the game. For more serious developers there is the Pro version for $1000, but in my opinion its not worth it (the added features are not that relevant).

Game Studio features a physics engine that isn't very good, but is 100% compatible with the freeware newton physics engine.

Game Studio is oriented towards FPS shooter and action-adventure games, but people have made all sorts of games with it.
And YES adventure games can be done with it as proved by the excellent game Adventure in Pocia

And here are some random shots of games made with A6.

At the moment i'm in a team thats working on this game Byiu Biyu Rocket, a zelda-like adventure RPG.

Hope that info helps.

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 20 queries.