Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: Saved Games  (Read 5140 times)

Daniel

• Regular poster
  • I'm *not* a llama!
    • View Profile
Saved Games
« on: April 16, 2004, 07:34:19 AM »

Hi,

I have a problem with the save-game mechanism and thought someone might have experience with the same thing.

When I run the game and immediately save it, the game is saved very quickly and its size is about 90k (with a thumbnail of 200x150). As I keep saving games, they become larger with each save and take more time to save. The fourth sequentially-saved game was 115k and took almost a minute to save! When I load the saved games they also take longer and longer times to load but less than the saving process. The specific game that took about a minute to save, for example, took about 30 seconds to load, which is indeed very long as well.

Has anyone experience such behavior?

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re:Saved Games
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 07:37:20 AM »

Please try the latest build: http://dead-code.org/download/wme_latest.zip
It also fixes the response crashing bug.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Daniel

• Regular poster
  • I'm *not* a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 09:27:52 AM »

The responses crash is gone. Thanks! :)

The saved games problem is still there however. The four first saves were very smooth and took about one second, maybe two. The fifth and sixth saves took minutes to save and load. The new progress bar simply stops at a certain point during the save (I think it's the last point before the final point) and no disk activity is seen. About a few minutes later (maybe two or three minutes) it just finishes the save and resumes game running.

Another thing, about the new progress bar, it's a very good idea. It really was necessary. One thing though, did you plan customization for this progress bar?

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2004, 09:45:33 AM »

The saved games problem is still there however. The four first saves were very smooth and took about one second, maybe two. The fifth and sixth saves took minutes to save and load. The new progress bar simply stops at a certain point during the save (I think it's the last point before the final point) and no disk activity is seen. About a few minutes later (maybe two or three minutes) it just finishes the save and resumes game running.

Weird... I didn't notice that. I'll look into it.

Another thing, about the new progress bar, it's a very good idea. It really was necessary. One thing though, did you plan customization for this progress bar?

Yes, it's customizable already in the new version of ProjectMan :) Just wait for the next update.
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Daniel

• Regular poster
  • I'm *not* a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 12:47:20 PM »

Weird... I didn't notice that. I'll look into it.

Cool, thanks!

Yes, it's customizable already in the new version of ProjectMan :) Just wait for the next update.

I should have known you wouldn't leave it like that ;). I should learn to trust people a little more...

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2004, 09:30:31 AM »

Fixed. Local variables declared in functions weren't correctly released until the script finished. Normally this wasn't a big problem, but since you were calling functions in the game loop, it became *very* obvious.
Thank you for finding this well hidden bug!

Daniel

• Regular poster
  • I'm *not* a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2004, 12:13:04 PM »

Good work! No need to thank me, though, I did nothing special. ;)

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.