Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: No more updates for Wintermute?  (Read 11323 times)

neo_one

• Lurker
    • View Profile
No more updates for Wintermute?
« on: October 28, 2019, 09:52:12 PM »

I see a little stunned how this project has been abandoned without anyone taking care of it.
AGS was on the verge of disappearing and the community asked its creator to give them the code to continue maintaining it and release new versions. Currently it can be exported to Linux and supports 1080p resolution.
Has anyone contacted Mnemonic to see if they want to give up the program? Unfortunately I don't know much about programming so I put this for someone who wants to take over.

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
Re: No more updates for Wintermute?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 08:03:37 AM »

The engine has been opensource for years.
You can find the sources for WME & WME Lite here. Searching around the web you can also find a few, not actively developed, forks of wme lite from other developers. SCUMMVM has also incorporated WME engine and various games run well enough.
fl*p

neo_one

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 11:34:34 AM »

It's a pity because it was much better software than AGS and much more powerful.
Doesn't anyone want to encourage you to join a group of people to continue with the development? I would but my knowledge is very limited.

eborr

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 07:34:10 PM »

I share your views however to take WME from where it is now to where it would need to would involve a fundamental re design and re write. Our current project K Nossos is the last one we will use WME for. It gives me no pleasure to say that, but simply a pragmatic realisation that in order to make our products a little more flexible in respect of the platforms we want to support then going to another engine is the only answer.

Mikael

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • MDNA Games
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 04:34:25 AM »

I agree that it's extremely sad that WME isn't updated anymore. I've tried all the other major adventure game engines, and no other even comes close to WME for me. Visionare, for example, is a good engine with certain features that I would love to see in WME (primarily portability and scalable resolution), but it would take me at least 3 times longer to make a game with it.

And now we're all in desperate need of 64-bit, since Mac has dropped its support for 32-bit.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 04:36:48 AM by Mikael »

mihaipuiucernea

• Lurker
  • Currently working on Colors on Canvas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 04:29:24 PM »

By the way, will apps made in Wintermute Lite work on newer iPhones, given the transition from 32bit to 64bt iOS?
Or can you choose to compile it as a 64bit app?

HCDaniel

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 11:08:18 AM »

Looking at myself, I do not have the bandwidth to actually "develop" WME. All I can handle is to keep my lite fork "alive", e.g. working on Android, iOS and Windows 10 (UWP). I might find some time in the future to have an "emscripten" port working with acceptable quality. The engine still builds for Linux and Win32, I use this primarily for debugging. macOS I haven't tested for quite a while, but I guess it's not too broken to be made working again.

In contrast to the time when WME was a pure Win32 application, maintaining several platforms is taking more time - including mandatory updates, in order to be still able to submit to stores and/or to support new devices. Creating and keeping simple step-by-step tutorials up to date on how to create the corresponding apps, that is sth I cannot provide. Thus, anybody who wants to publish a wmelite game, needs to have some basic developer skills.

I think if there was more interest to create adventure games, eventually people would gather to properly maintain the software, keeping the original WME up to date - and maybe even start a redesign of the engine. At the moment, however, I only see maintenance of the lite version (updates, bugfixes) as reasonable.

mihaipuiucernea

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 01:18:45 PM »

@HCDaniel: what features are in your Lite fork, compared to vanilla?
I'd be interested to know.

And also, where can I find your Lite fork?

Thank you!

HCDaniel

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 10:22:30 AM »

There are no big new features. Biggest change is the replacement of the BASS library with SDL_mixer, to avoid license fees. And I added predefined echo and reverb effects. Apart from that its probably just bug fixes. Video playback is not supported, although experimental Android support is available now in a branch.

To reduce the risk of being "stranded", all projects of all platforms include all libraries in source code. It increases build time (at least for the first time), but makes is easier to adapt to new toolchains. Esp mobile platforms seem to require you to recompile all code from time to time, older toolchains are deprecated faster than on e.g. PC platforms.

I am using the "git-repo" tool to create the project workspaces (https://gerrit.googlesource.com/git-repo). You can find the manifests that I use in this repo: https://bitbucket.org/hcdaniel/repo_manifest_wmelite/src/master/ Part of the manifests is in private repos (project settings which might contain sensitive data) , so you cannot use it as-is, but you can derive your own workspaces from it. I don't have the bandwidth to maintain example projects for each platform. But if you know the basic steps on how to build an app/an executable for the platform in question, you'll have everything you need.

mihaipuiucernea

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 10:41:56 PM »

That sounds good actually so I'll have a look.
And thank you very much!

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.