Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: Actor movement  (Read 4633 times)

TheDerman

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
Actor movement
« on: February 26, 2005, 11:32:26 AM »

Hi,

Does the engine automatically move the actor sprites a certain amount when they're walking? You can increase this speed by "moving" each frame in the walk sprites a certain amount, yes?

Is there a way for the engine not to move the sprite, and for the movement to be completely dependant on the "move" amounts in the sprite?

The way my character is animated means that there are certain frames where it would be better they didn't move, but because the engine moves the sprite anyway, things get a little odd.

Does this make sense?

Thanks.

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
Re: Actor movement
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 02:08:28 PM »

Hi,

I am not eactly sure what you mean by your question.  This movement (if I got you right) is clearly visible in Sprite Edit.
Just open there molly (default actor) and look how this works there. You'd be interested in Move by property.

For animations you don't want her to move and just animate you simply put here 0 0.

I hope that helps, otherwise please be more specific.

J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 02:14:34 PM »

Moreover when you open the walk animation, you can set this Move By for each frame separately. Just click one of the images
in the set and fill in correct details.
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

TheDerman

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 02:45:05 PM »

I know that. What I'm saying is, the actor sprite is moved by the engine anyway when you click an area of the floor, even if the move amounts on each sprite frame are 0.

I'm asking if there is a way to have the actor move only through setting the frame move amounts, and not have the engine move it automatically.

McCoy

• The cocido eater
  • Frequent poster
  • Spurrrrrrring
    • View Profile
    • Spur Games
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 03:27:51 PM »

What do you mean, that you have a character which moves in "cadences", like a zombie dragging one of his feets, so in some frames the character should not move despite it's in walking state, because he's "dragging back" his feet to be able to move forward a little more? (dunno if I explained myself)

Click here to sign my sig!

TheDerman

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 06:14:00 PM »

The character moves normally, however the frames are such that the added movement of the sprite on top of the "move by" value makes them stutter and glide a little. The walk cycle is perfect in the sprite editor because that doesn't have the added movement.

What if a person had a character that had a different walk motion though, something that meant you didn't want them to be in constant motion when walking, like the zombie you mention? The added movement again, would mess this up somewhat.

So, is it possible to move the player character sprite solely with the "move by" values? That's all I'm asking. This would be perfect as it would allow you to move the character at whatever speed you wanted, and you could stagger their movement (if you wanted) by not "moving" some of the frames in the sprite. If it can't be done then fine, I can get around this, but I would prefer not to.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 04:40:48 PM »

So, is it possible to move the player character sprite solely with the "move by" values?
No, currently it's not possible. The engine is only using these "move by" values as a base value, and applies the scene scaling on them, so that the walking speed automatically changes depending on actor's scale. The problem is it always moves the actor by at least one pixel (so that the actor has a chance to move even if the scale is very small).
It would be probably a cleaner solution if the engine checked if the "move by" value is really zero and didn't move the actor at all...
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.