Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Horizontal Scaling?  (Read 11023 times)

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Horizontal Scaling?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2005, 04:27:53 PM »

Ok, I tested it and in my opinion this continuous scale change will never work, because it just doesn't look very realistic. Actually this whole concept of two different perspectives in one scene is not very realistic, but I think it would work well if you took advantage of the big rock in the middle and switch to different perspective while the actor is completelly hidden. What I'm thinking of, technically, are two sets of scale levels, and switching from one to another when walking behind the rock. Of course, currently it's not possible to control scale levels at runtime, but I could add this functionality relatively easily.
So what do you think?
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

revvin

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2005, 03:53:35 PM »

I agree as far as it not looking realistic. My artist did the scene quickly and didnt take lines of perspective into account - so it would always look wrong.

He is re-doing the scene with clear lines of perspective. This will mean the character should scale realistically on the scene.

Have you seen Visionaire?  Their scaling system is superb. You basically create "POINTS" on the scene and specify the character scale at that point (as a percentage). The engine then sets the scale according to the characters proximity to each of these points.

This gives you huge amounts of control over the scaling and makes everything look perfect.  I could post a quick example if it helps?

Do you think maybe you could implement something like this instead?

Thanks again for all your help,

Regards
Revvin

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2005, 09:19:18 AM »

I'm not too familiar with Visionaire, but the way you describe it it sounds like the "paths" used by AGAST, where the points are also used for path-finding and coloring. In my very humble opinion, just for perspective reasons this approach is an overkill in most cases, because the perspective works much simpler than that. Unless, of course, you're using some crazy comix art... or when you're mixing different perspectives in a single scene :) In other words, I'm not sure I'd want to add something like that to WME because it's unnecessary in most cases, doesn't mix well with the current system and it would be too confusing for the users.
I still do think the way I suggested above might work well for your scene, though.
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

revvin

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2005, 01:01:45 AM »

Thats ok I understand. I'll have to try your method on that particular scene. I have just included the following because I think it explains more clearly what I was trying to do.

I have uploaded the prototype I was working on in Visionaire to http://www.maroonedgame.com/wme/visionaire_prototype.exe

If you walk through the three different scenes you should see that the Scaling blends very well into the scenes.

In the below scene you can see I only set three points - and the scaling is perfect.

Do you think the standard scene scaling will work as well in these examples?

Also - if you press and hold the left button over an object (like the spoon) and let go over the PICK UP icon - it disappears and the action is performed. This is the last thing I was working on before checking out WME. Are you aware of anybody else that has created a verb coin like this so I can pick their brains? or do you know whether its possible to implement?

Thanks again for all your help,

Regards
Rev

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2005, 10:31:55 AM »

Do you think the standard scene scaling will work as well in these examples?
Yes, I think so. At least it seems to be the standard case where the character needs to get bigger the closer to the camera he is.

Also - if you press and hold the left button over an object (like the spoon) and let go over the PICK UP icon - it disappears and the action is performed. This is the last thing I was working on before checking out WME. Are you aware of anybody else that has created a verb coin like this so I can pick their brains? or do you know whether its possible to implement?
WME Demo 3D uses a verb-coin interface. You will find all the necessary code in game.script and game_daemon.script in the demo. game.script handles the LeftClick and LeftRelease events, and game_daemon.script just displays the menu after the player holds the mouse button for a certain period of time.

revvin

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2005, 04:07:47 PM »

Ok thanks Mnemonic.

I have got my artist splitting the scene into two now - so instead of panning across a different perspective - it'll just change scene.

The effect we want to achieve where he gets small as he walks to the right - we will have to fake by forcing the character along a tight path that travels upwards. That should allow the standard Scene Scale to come fairly close to the desired effect.

Thanks for all your help,
Rev
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 24 queries.