Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: SceneEdit 3D additions  (Read 7514 times)

Orange Brat

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Orange Brat Shenanigans™
SceneEdit 3D additions
« on: December 29, 2004, 07:10:26 PM »

1. Lights and cameras support. We should be able to see any lights and cameras visible from the active camera

2. It would be nice to be able to edit the range and color of lights. This would save having to go back into our modelling app to tweak and re-export. I can think of some situations where tweaking the range/intensity of a light would come in handy.

3. This could also extend to blocks. Useful for tweaking waypoints or nudging collision areas.

4. Labels should display above geometry, lights, and cameras if the mouse cursor hovers over them. For example, "blk_door" would display above the block with that name or "light01" or "camera01" above the camera or light with that name(this would require #1 to be implemented).

Also, if you create a "free" camera in MAX, SceneEdit will not recognize it. It seems to have no problems with "target" cameras, though.

The 3D section of the manual doesn't reflect the recent change the 3D tab. The picture is from before the override FOV feature was added.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 07:25:00 PM by Orange Brat »
The Disenfranchised™ - coming later

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
Re: SceneEdit 3D additions
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 07:26:26 PM »

Also, if you create a "free" camera in MAX, SceneEdit will not recognize it. It seems to have no problems with "target" cameras, though.

I vote for adding a notice "Please use "Target Cameras" when using MAX to generate the geometry file." ;)
Mooh!

Orange Brat

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 07:31:53 PM »

Sounds like a plan.

I added one additional request and/or tweaked what was there. I got some of these ideas after playing around with that gile app. It's not a modeling program, but it will allow you to tweak what's there if you need to.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 07:39:44 PM »

The problem with free cameras is, that 3DS Max doesn't export them at all (tested on ver 6.0). That's probably because 3ds format is unable to describe free cameras.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004, 07:44:23 PM »

Those are all good suggestions, well maybe except modyfiyng the geometry placement itself, that's something I'd prefer to avoid.
I'll try to implement those in the new toolset, which, hopefully, I'll start working on again soon :)
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Orange Brat

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2005, 12:12:28 AM »

I was playing around with the MAX demo some more and I noticed that SceneEdit imports a camera and sets it the FOV to 35.5 degrees. That same camera is 45 degrees in MAX.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2005, 10:30:26 AM »

I was playing around with the MAX demo some more and I noticed that SceneEdit imports a camera and sets it the FOV to 35.5 degrees. That same camera is 45 degrees in MAX.
In MAX you can switch between vertical and horizontal FOV. The value displayed in SceneEdit is vertical FOV. MAX displays horizontal FOV by default.

Orange Brat

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 07:55:45 PM »

It would be possible to implement, but I'm still a little hesitant about turning SceneEdit into a "3D editor" (well, sort of ), because it wasn't my original intention.

I took that quote from nuclear_winter's BGR thread. Perhaps somewhere down the road, you could add some primative modeling capabilities. By primative, I mean simple blocks, lights and cameras. The user could import their master level file(the detailed one), and add the hidden geometry, lights, and cameras.  We could export selected objects to the simple 3DS version from there and also export the detailed one(with lights/cameras) to a format that could be opened by a free 3rd party renderer and render from the cameras.

Since, the number of apps that export everything to 3DS seems limited, this might be a way to get around it and keep SceneEdit's modeling features to a minimum. I don't know...maybe it's too much but perhaps it could be a long term goal.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 20 queries.