Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: restrictions - other game types doable using Wintermute  (Read 3026 times)

gfx johnny

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
restrictions - other game types doable using Wintermute
« on: June 28, 2004, 06:47:19 PM »

I played Wilma Tetris (great game btw :)), and now i'm asking myself, what limits do we have using the Wintermute engine? I know you could make an adventure-rpg-hybrid type of game, similar to Quest for Glory. Tetris is also possible :) Looking at Igors Demo i suppose some kind of beat'em up would be doable, too.

Of course Wintermute is not a 3d-engine. But what about games like old 2d strategy games and so on? Feasible or not? What could be a bottleneck within Wintermute?

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: restrictions - other game types doable using Wintermute
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 08:41:20 AM »

I played Wilma Tetris (great game btw :)), and now i'm asking myself, what limits do we have using the Wintermute engine? I know you could make an adventure-rpg-hybrid type of game, similar to Quest for Glory. Tetris is also possible :) Looking at Igors Demo i suppose some kind of beat'em up would be doable, too.

Of course Wintermute is not a 3d-engine. But what about games like old 2d strategy games and so on? Feasible or not? What could be a bottleneck within Wintermute?

There's no easy answer to that. Of course, WME has been designed for adventure games mainly, but using entities you should be able to build basically any sprite-based game. As for bottlenecks, all I can think of right now is lots of *active* scripts running simultaneously, such as handling the AI of your units in a strategy game etc.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.