Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: Scrolling text  (Read 4436 times)

Kaz

• Arberth Studios
  • Regular poster
  • The story is the game
    • View Profile
    • Info on 'Rhiannon' & 'Coven'
Scrolling text
« on: September 05, 2007, 01:58:41 PM »

Hi, I'm fairly new to WME and have a question about whether it's possible to simulate scrolling text in an adventure game.

My scene shows a computer displaying emails which can be read by the adventurer. Some of the emails don't entirely fit on the computer screen graphic and so I would like the player to be able to scroll up and down just like you do when reading your own emails on your computer. I've made 'flash' SWF files which do this perfectly but now find that WME doesn't support this (as far as I can tell anyway).

Can anyone suggest a workaround or alternative way of achieving the same effect?

Thanks
\"Fans of popular horror adventures like Scratches and Barrow Hill should start bracing themselves for another haunting experience, as independent developer Arberth Studios has announced production on its debut title Rhiannon - Curse of the Four Branches.\" - AdventureGamers.com

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Scrolling text
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 05:50:32 PM »

It's possible, but it will take some scripting. The idea is to use two windows, one nested into another. The nested window would use the "ClipContents" property and it would contain the control(s) that should scroll. In your case the static control with multiline text. Now by simply changing the Y position of the static control, the text will appear to scroll.
I started to script something like that some time ago but unfortunately never finished it.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Kaz

• Arberth Studios
  • Regular poster
  • The story is the game
    • View Profile
    • Info on 'Rhiannon' & 'Coven'
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 10:56:28 AM »

Excellent! Thank you for the help. I haven't tried your suggestion as yet and may need a bit more help with the scripting when I get to try it, but it's good to know that it is possible.

Thanks again.
\"Fans of popular horror adventures like Scratches and Barrow Hill should start bracing themselves for another haunting experience, as independent developer Arberth Studios has announced production on its debut title Rhiannon - Curse of the Four Branches.\" - AdventureGamers.com

rkitting

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 09:25:21 PM »

Hello,

I have scrolling multiline text as Static Control in a nested Window. The nested Window has ClipContents enabled and text is correctly clipped at bottom of window (after some tweaking to the window height, otherwise not correctly clipped), however the scrolling text is never clipped at the top and you can see the text move up off the window and into game screen :(

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 09:47:53 PM »

Well, there appears to be a bug. The window clipping doesn't work correctly in a nested window, if its parent window isn't at position 0, 0 (the clipping rectangle is not properly offset for nested windows).
So the workaround for now is to use an invisible window at position 0,0 and nest the other windows in it...
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

rkitting

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 08:33:08 AM »

I tried the workaround, although not a fun one :)..... and it works. Thanks a lot!

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 24 queries.