Wintermute Engine > Community bulletin board

WME programming book

(1/4) > >>

metamorphium:
Dear muties,

In the past couple of months I worked on a project, which is slowly growing to a bigger-than-I-originally-thought proportions. This project is a wme developers guide which I'd like to finish and then decide what to do with it. As I was overwhelmed with GitS in the past few months, I didn't have time to work much on it, but now I'll focus again on the book much more.

The aim of the book is not to replace wme documentation, which is btw. very good, but rather to approach wme coding in "tutorial" way with chapters covering different aspects of WME game creation in a beginner-friendly way.

Right now I have many assorted chapters and I'm working on more of them, with different focus ranging from basic scripting to advanced concepts.

My question and the poll is targeted at a couple of questions:

1, will there be any interest at all in this thing?
2, will there be an interest in the printed copy of the book (published or self published)?
3, any specific requests for the advanced stuff?

Thanks

odnorf:
Hm... the best option for me would be a pdf file. The good is that it will be easily updateable, the bad thing is that it's harder to read & try wme at the same time unless you have 2 monitors.

A published book is a nice idea but I'm not sure if you'll ever get your money back.

In either case, if you need a designer to.... design your book don't forget me :)

PS. I didn't vote since there is no option for both.

EDIT: 1. Yes, 2. Yes, 3. Not yet

jlinam:

Sounds like a great idea. I've noticed that there are tons of useful tips and bits of information scattered throughout this forum, but finding the relevant information can be difficult. Since the wiki seem to be under-utilized, a doc like you propose would go a long way towards answering all those recurring 'newbie' type questions.

metamorphium:
actually from the chapters I've already written it's more methodic. It should bring you from knowledge 0 about WME or scripting to reasonable knowledge of WME. It's basically targeted to people, who find starting with wme documentation / tutorial projects too confusing.

odnorf: I take it as promised! :)

Nihil:
Not that I hate paper, but I agree with odnorf (and that scares me ;-) ), printing it could get rather expensive. And people with only one monitor are ... well .... uhm ... I forgot what I wanted to say ;-)

But in general a book like that is a brilliant idea - the more learning sources, the better!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version