Wintermute Engine > Technical forum

Quest for Glory-style RPG elements?

(1/3) > >>

JustLuke:
Does the Wintermute Engine support the type of features that would be required to create an RPG/adventure hybrid like Quest for Glory?

Things like character stats/a spell inventory/simple combat etc?

Mnemonic:
I must confess I didn't play any game from the QfG series but I believe I know what you'd like to achieve.

Well, I think the RPG elements (stats) can be done easily using a bunch of script variables; the stats screen could be build using the WME's UI layer, and combat is just a matter of moving actors on screen and playing their animations.
How does the spell inventory work? Does it mean you have actually two inventories, one for spells and one for items? Such thing currently isn't possible in WME, it would need to be "cheated" using the UI somehow...

JustLuke:
Thanks for the info.

Yes, in terms of functionality, the spell interface is just a second inventory. Also, now I'm thinking about it, there are chests that you can store items in - these also function as seperate inventories.

Perhaps at some point in the future multiple inventories (and the ability to assign them to various entities) might be possible? I understand that this would be an extremely low priority for you to implement.

Brassfire:
Luke... interesting to see you here. 8)

I would also be interested in these functions... though I am debating whether to use AGS or wait on the engine while the first artwork is developed... but the art will also depend on the engine... I have a headache now. :-\

JustLuke:
Well I'm always interested in finding out what new engines have to offer, and asking about QFG-like features is often a good way of judging how flexible they are.

The Wintermule engine seems like an excellent choice for 2d adventure games, but I'm still playing around with my own 3d engine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version