General Category > Software and games

Windows Media Player 12 maximize fix (Windows 7)

<< < (2/3) > >>

the_Gipper:
Thank you very much for investing your time and energy to tackle the problem. I did download your program, and it works – and it works not. I posted this thread over at the Shark007.net forum to describe my problem, but maybe you can help better, after all, you already did so once before:

WMP 12 maximize bug

Hiya all

(I hope this is the correct place to post and I shouldn't have gone to Settings Application)

I use the Shark007 Codec Pack for Windows 7 together with Windows Media Player 12 within Windows 7 Starter. Since (when opening files through Windows Explorer) this player has a weird bug of refusing to remember the previous window size and always starts out as a small window instead of maximized and since there really is no option to change that in the player's settings, I downloaded this utility:

http://dead-code.org/download/download_wmp12fix.php

(description at http://forum.dead-code.org/index.php?topic=3929.0).

But while for some files

– .wmv, .mpeg, .mov, .mp4, .avi, .wav, .mp3, .aac, .m4a, .3gp –

this workaround works just fine, others

– .rm, .rmvb, .flv, .ogv, .ogg, .flac –

still lead to non-maximized windows when double-clicked.

Since QuickTime files didn't play before installing the Shark007 Codec Pack, if I remember correctly, I don't think it's a matter of native support by Media Player 12 or not.

I noticed, however, that the context menus that open when right-clicking files look slightly different, depending on whether the player window maximizes upon opening a file or not:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Play
Add to Windows Media Player list
7-Zip
Scan with Microsoft Security Essentials...
Open with
etc.

(for the files that open maximized)

versus

Play
Open
7-Zip
Scan with Microsoft Security Essentials...
Open with
etc.

(for those that continue to open in small windows)
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I've no clue as to why that is or how I could make them look the same (I did, however, check the box "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" for all of the files in question and have restarted the computer several times since).

So, what's the solution here, after all, there must be one, mustn't it?

(I don't want near-maximized windows or fullscreen mode, but true maximized windows everytime I double-click a media file.)

Thanks a bunch for your help (I'm quite the noob, so please keep it simple)
the_Gipper

(http://shark007.net/forum/Thread-WMP-12-maximize-bug)

Mnemonic:
Sorry, I have no idea why it would work for some codecs and not for others. WMP12 is doing some strange voodoo with the application window; I noticed sometimes the movie pane can be focused, and still the window frame is inactive etc. Not my area of expertise, I'm afraid.

the_Gipper:
OK, thanks for your reply, anyway.

It's really a pity, I mean, how long has WMP 12 / this bug been around now? Meanwhile, even your proposed fix is over a year old, has no one ever brought that issue to Microsoft's attention? It's annoying as hell, why aren't they acting?

Oh well...

But thanks again for trying to do something about it.

shi-an:
YOU sir should take over the Microsoft programming division. You are a much better programmer than they are. Seriously microsoft should pay you a wad of cash so that they can implement your program into a windows update; WMP was actually a really good media player... until this "bug".

Anyway I made an account just to say thank-you, so thanks!

ruudboek:
Thanks so much! Do you perhaps also a version of that tool, that makes it resize to full screen instead of maximized?
I have looked everywhere, it simply does not seem to exist.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version