Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Jumping walk animations - Gliding problem  (Read 4376 times)

Tentacleboy

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Jumping walk animations - Gliding problem
« on: May 16, 2010, 02:02:57 PM »

Hello WME-Team and Community!

A few days ago I've started with WME and was very fascinated of the engine's features.

At the moment, I play around with a little test project to go over to a real project later.

Now I've a little problem with my actor's walk animations. In detail, I want to create a walk animation like these from the tentacles of "Day of the Tentacle". The problem is that the actor moves by 1 pixel while he's preparing for the jump. This is also, when I set the Move X/Move Y values to 0.
The problem is, I can't take the "preparing"-frames out of the animation, because the actor should do this through the whole animation.

I've already read the documentation, tutorials, wiki and of course some topics in this forum. I didn't find any possible solutions for my problem, so I start this topic now. Maybe I've overseen something...

Thanks in advance! :)

Best regards
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 02:53:36 PM by Tentacleboy »

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Jyujinkai's WME Development Blog
Re: Jumping walk animations - Gliding problem
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 01:56:51 AM »

Can you record the animation cycle in action with a free video capture thing for me to look at or post a demo.. it is very hard to understand what you mean. Though it "sounds" like you are talking about a cycle problem.

A common mistake in animation cycles is to have the exact same position for the start of each cycle.. with creates a kind of jerky look, as the character will start moving but the animation cycle will still be in the stand still pose. This can be adjusted by simply knocking off a few frames of your walk animation.

Also if you are using a 3D actor, you need to set keys for ALL the joints at the start and end of a cycle, or you can get some strange arcing between keys during the swapping of cycles. This isn't a problem on 2D frame for frame animations of course.
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 09:40:13 AM »

Sadly it's not possible, currently. The actor will always move at least by one pixel, regardless of the Move settings. The reasoning was that the actor doesn't get stuck when people forget to specify the Move values in their animations.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Spellbreaker

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Apeiron Studios
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 04:02:50 PM »

Workaround solution:

Simply let the "Jump" Animation itself ( or whatever he does while walking ) move backwards 1px per frame. if its Five frames, your animation should be moved five px backwards. The Frame when actor lands, is on the original position again, so now the animation "skips" five pixels forward. This all happens in the animation itself, NOT in the sprite editor.

Now to remove the 5px Skipping, you simply make a X movement -5 in the Sprite editor on the "landing" frame.

If I thought correctly, that should do the trick. Of course you have to use your own values for that :)

Tentacleboy

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 03:33:23 PM »

Thank you for your help!

I solved my problem with the method posted by Spellbreaker (thanks!)

Best regards! :)

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.