Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: crash problems  (Read 7833 times)

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
crash problems
« on: March 06, 2003, 01:32:41 AM »

hi,

my machine just totally crashed the second time by exiting the wme demo (run from the ProjectMan) by clicking the quit button. no warning, no blue screen, no logfile - the machine just completely restarted as if i pushed the reset button (ouch!).

both times windows was not able to restart completely until i really pushed the reset button.

oh well - it does not always crash, it were just these 2 times yet (from about 40), but anyway it crashed too hard and too identical to ignore.

anybody here with similiar problems ?

my computer:
Athlon XP 2000+, GeForce2 MX, 768MB RAM, Windows XP Prof.

PS: i didn't even notice it the first time - clicking "quit game" and a restarting machine after that... seemed to be fine.  ;)
Mooh!

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re:crash problems
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2003, 08:21:53 AM »

Ow, that's weird :( My configuration is very close to yours (WinXP+GF2MX) and something like that never happend to me (and I've run WME thousand times). No hints in the Windows Event Log?
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2003, 06:22:57 PM »

No, nothing. BUT: I was able to reconstruct the error case, it only crashed when switching back from fullscreen mode. Sometimes it did not crash, but in these cases, the DirectX window part of the ProjectMan (where the previews are displayed) was "broken".

I've seen this effect once before, so I downgraded my NVIDIA driver back to that one Microsoft provided with XP for my graphics adapter - et voil
Mooh!

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2003, 06:54:31 PM »

It works, no more crashes, no broken window areas.

Uh, it does not crash anymore, but this "broken DirectX window" still stays - sometimes! - after leaving the game with "Quit" --- it displays everything that is moved over that window part (other windows, etc), but does not display the preview anymore until i close the project and reload it (reopen the window). hmm. but this is much better than crashing. ;)
Mooh!

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2003, 08:21:55 PM »

but this "broken DirectX window" still stays - sometimes! - after leaving the game with "Quit" --- it displays everything that is moved over that window part (other windows, etc), but does not display the preview anymore until i close the project and reload it (reopen the window). hmm. but this is much better than crashing. ;)

Well, I'm getting this problem only in the "non-accelerated" (i.e. DirectDraw) mode, Direct3D seems to work fine. Although the engine *should*be able to deal with it... Hmm, I guess I'll have to look into it. BTW you don't need to close ProjectMan, resizing the preview pane a bit should be sufficient for the engine to re-create the view.

Anyway, thanks for your observations! It's a very valuable input.
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2003, 10:19:30 PM »

Hm, I tried to find out more, but for some reason it currently works now without any changes.

About resizing the preview: hm, at least I tried to resize the whole window, but that didn't help, I had to close the project (not the whole ProjectMan, just the project window) and re-open it.

Oh - btw i installed the DX9 SDK quite early, maybe too early... I'll check this if the problem should return.

Okay, thanks. I guess it's time to start switching my project to WME now.  8)
Mooh!

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2003, 03:02:21 PM »

Hm, I tried to find out more, but for some reason it currently works now without any changes.

About resizing the preview: hm, at least I tried to resize the whole window, but that didn't help, I had to close the project (not the whole ProjectMan, just the project window) and re-open it.
Well, what can I say? I'll say just: "Weird!" ;)

Oh - btw i installed the DX9 SDK quite early, maybe too early... I'll check this if the problem should return.
So did I :) WME is actually compiled against DX9 SDK. So far no problems.

Okay, thanks. I guess it's time to start switching my project to WME now.  8)
8)

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.