Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Invalid Images with PNG  (Read 4971 times)

jimm84

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • JD Portfolio
Invalid Images with PNG
« on: February 21, 2013, 12:13:35 AM »

Hello, sanity check. I have outputted a png sequence ( a water drop ) with a slight opacity and it keeps giving me an "invalid image" error when i go into level edit.

All appears to be fine in the sprite maker and I have used other pngs to make sprites elsewhere - they work. Could anyone give me any clues as to what I could be missing..? is it the opacity of the waterdrop within the PNG causing this issue or is something else?

thanks for your help.

Thanks, :P
Hello! :-) Illustration & Animation Portfolio http://jdillustration.jimmsdesign.co.uk/

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
Re: Invalid Images with PNG
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 10:28:31 AM »

That's weird. You can try export the PNGs from another application in case they are somehow corrupted. Transparency shouldn't cause any issues. If nothing works please upload the PNGs and the sprite file you have generated.
fl*p

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 12:59:17 PM »

The problem probably isn't the PNG file itself, but the way it's referenced in the .sprite file. The sprite probably includes some invalid path and the engine cannot find your image. When you see the "invalid image" marker in SceneEdit, try looking at the "SceneEdit.log" file in your project folder. It will contain some error which should tell you more about what went wrong.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

jimm84

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • JD Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 11:16:30 PM »

Thank you both! I wandered if it was path issues... or something along those lines. I will have to have a look when I get a minute.
I have placed it in the 'sprites' folder. I was wandering, once you have compiled a sprite, do you need all the pngs (outputted frames from another program) in the same folder as the sprite?

Basically those pngs are elements from which the sprite is created - does the sprite itself need to call those files in the same folder the sprite itself is located?

Thanks,
Hello! :-) Illustration & Animation Portfolio http://jdillustration.jimmsdesign.co.uk/

eborr

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 12:21:05 AM »

the sprites can be in any folder that his created under the data hierarchy, however if you move the .png's then you will have to re-link the paths back to the sprite object.

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 12:25:06 AM »

Thank you both! I wandered if it was path issues... or something along those lines. I will have to have a look when I get a minute.
I have placed it in the 'sprites' folder. I was wandering, once you have compiled a sprite, do you need all the pngs (outputted frames from another program) in the same folder as the sprite?

Basically those pngs are elements from which the sprite is created - does the sprite itself need to call those files in the same folder the sprite itself is located?

Thanks,

Yes, you still need the PNGs (in whichever path you had them first). Sprite files (and all wme definition files) are text files with links to graphic files (png, tga, etc) and additional settings (all those things you set in sprite editor).
fl*p

jimm84

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • JD Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 03:37:14 PM »

Hello good members! I think I have amended it somehow but without really knowing why!  ::rock

I went about by : when setting up a new sprite, just locating the folder in 'sprites' and not setting it up in 'sprites/foldername' I found this a bit confusing it must be said.

I was also wandering, when in the project manager and you see the little sprite icon on the certain sprite folders and not others, what does this mean? - show me your wisdom!!!! (he screams from the jagged cliffs upon the stormy shores) :-) 

Thanks 

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.