General Category > General Discussion

Future of WME

<< < (2/2)

HCDaniel:
Now that Microsoft gives out their compiler tools suite for free (unless you are a big company):

http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-community-vs.aspx

it could be easier to port all Windows based tools + engine to this recent toolset. It also ships with a DirectX SDK by default, so all the requirements to compile WME should be included. MFC is included as well, this was missing from the "express" editions and thus it was difficult to compile the tools without purchasing the compiler.

Anybody interested to "port" WME + Tools to the most recent compiler? Agreed, it won't make a difference right now, but maintenance might become easier, and in case sth. breaks on future Windows versions, it would be easier to fix.

Mnemonic:

--- Quote from: HCDaniel on February 12, 2015, 07:50:40 AM ---It also ships with a DirectX SDK by default, so all the requirements to compile WME should be included.

--- End quote ---
The former DirectX SDK is now part of Windows SDK. Sadly, the Windows 8 / 8.1 SDK that ships with VS2013 dropped the D3DX utility library, which WME uses (thanks once again, Microsoft!). This article gives some hints on how to replace D3DX with alternatives, but it would probably require quite a lot of work.

Dan Peach:
Well, I am interested in anything that will extend the life of WME.  :)

Unfortunately I have zero skills in that area, so I can't really help out in any technical way. :(

HCDaniel:

--- Quote from: Mnemonic on February 12, 2015, 06:37:28 PM ---The former DirectX SDK is now part of Windows SDK. Sadly, the Windows 8 / 8.1 SDK that ships with VS2013 dropped the D3DX utility library, which WME uses (thanks once again, Microsoft!). This article gives some hints on how to replace D3DX with alternatives, but it would probably require quite a lot of work.

--- End quote ---

Hmpf. I should have known that there is a catch :( At first it looked so promising...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version