Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: still photos --> 3d?  (Read 4878 times)

Footer

• Lurker
    • View Profile
still photos --> 3d?
« on: August 08, 2005, 09:35:01 AM »

I am starting an adventure game in which I plan to use actual people as characters... i.e., I want to take still photographs of an individual and find some way of incorporating these into wme. My original plan was to take photos of my actor in various poses, stop-motion style, enough to create smooth animations. I realized before long that this would be way too tedious and time-consuming and still look like crap.

Can anyone tell me if there is a good program that can be used to turn a series of still photos into a convincing 3d model of a person? I would like to use the model to create animations while still have it look close enough to the person to match the live-action cutscenes.

On a related note, can any of these modeling programs export a 3d animation into a series of images like .jpgs that could be used as sprites? (If I really wanted to go the 2d route).

Any advice would be most appreciated...

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
Re: still photos --> 3d?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 09:48:46 AM »

Automatically turning photos into 3d models is almost impossible, at least for characters. There are some programs that work for simple geometry, but not something complex like a 3d character model.

What you could do is creating textures from the photos you have and apply them to your 3d models. In Poser for example this is easy with the face editor, the results look ok. From Poser you can easily export 3d-sprites of you characters then, but you can't use the models itself for a 2.5d game because they are way to high-poly.

If you are good at low-poly modelling you could do the same for realtime 3d models of course. Most modelling programs can export 2d images, too.

organican

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 05:38:12 PM »

I am starting an adventure game in which I plan to use actual people as characters... i.e., I want to take still photographs of an individual and find some way of incorporating these into wme. My original plan was to take photos of my actor in various poses, stop-motion style, enough to create smooth animations. I realized before long that this would be way too tedious and time-consuming and still look like crap.

Can anyone tell me if there is a good program that can be used to turn a series of still photos into a convincing 3d model of a person? I would like to use the model to create animations while still have it look close enough to the person to match the live-action cutscenes.

On a related note, can any of these modeling programs export a 3d animation into a series of images like .jpgs that could be used as sprites? (If I really wanted to go the 2d route).

Any advice would be most appreciated...
And here I though someone was using stop-motion animation of detailed, high-quality images of actual people in their game, and it was "just" a discussion of 3D models...
Ah, well...

The stop-motion technique would actually be kind of interesting in an adventure and a fresh alternative to 3D models and 3D-prerendered backgrounds, or cartoon graphics...
Ah, well...

Though a fade between static images of people would probably only work in a first-person game, it's a nice idea.

Keep up the good work, btw!

Antimony

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 12:25:42 AM »

Hi there... i think 3DMeNow is what you need but...there is a little problem with this application because biovirtual , the company who release 3DMenNow does not exist anymore...

3DMeNow Description:   
Simply load one front-face and one profile photo (or sketches or artwork) into 3DMeNow and start modeling and animating 3D humans or characters straight away! Just line up the points to your images to create your model - then load in a standard *.wav file or record your voice to create stunning real-time 3D animations...

check this :
http://kpnemo.ru/media/images/3d_t.jpg
and this
http://www.opc.unas.cz/obrzde/obrazky5/sw_3dmenow.jpg

PM me and maybe i can help you ;)

« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 12:34:38 AM by Antimony »

nuclear_winter

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 08:07:41 AM »

3D me now, is not bad, but its far from professional, best way is model by hand (lots of practice) using real photos as blueprints then texturing with photos, something like this, only better  ;)

If you have the budget you can check out this, a pachkage of 100 models, textured and animated:

its quite good, but its 2499 - Euro

And there is another one, similar to 3dme, but for complete models:
HUMAN GENERATOR

Take a portrait from front side and trace its contour..
You can use JPEG,PICT(Mac),BMP(Win)format picture. You can use not only photographs but also illustration that you draw.
Input feature points that as eyes, mouth, nee, and so on. Then trace contour of the picture. Within 5 minutes (includes operation time), you can finish.

Automatically, 3D model is generated!
HumanGenerator generates any types of body shapes automatically. For example, you can make both thin people and fat people.
And HumanGenerator generates many hairstyles and many types of cloth.

Change pose!
You can change human pose from "pose library".
We will customise HumanGenerator to export to your product. You can use the 3D human as game characters, family models in home design, crowd of people in the city and more.

We have both Windows and Macintosh(OS9 and OSX) versions of HumanGenerator.

Hope this can give you some directions.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 08:34:48 AM by nuclear_winter »

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.