Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: Dungeon Master WME?  (Read 9086 times)

SBOVIS

• Frequent poster
  • FORGET REALITY SURRENDER TO YOUR DARKEST DREAMS
    • View Profile
    • LIMBO of the LOST
Dungeon Master WME?
« on: July 02, 2007, 12:06:38 PM »

Hi all,
        Is it possible do you think that a Dungeon Master clone could be create dusing WME?
I think it could be, but wanted to know what you all thought and ideas about how to go about it.

I was thinking of scenes as views of a room, turn on spot etc and then multiple inventories for 4 champions that your team is made up of, team stats etc

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks
kind Regards
Steve Bovis
MAJESTIC STUDIOS

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Dungeon Master WME?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 06:14:04 PM »

WME has ways of making basically any 2D game, so I think with some clever scripting it should be possible to achieve a DM-style game. It's not what WME was designed for, though, so I can't tell how complicated it would be.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

SBOVIS

• Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • LIMBO of the LOST
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 03:39:34 PM »

Thanks Mnemonic,
                          I have been looking more closely at this and it seems the main issue would be the stats screen and seperate inventory for 4 team members and the magic system would be a tough nut to crack too.

I think visually there is no problem, in fact WME could add more to the original with better closeups and animations. Sound wise too WME, could do a better job.

But at the moment it looks promising.

kind Regards
Steve Bovis
MAJESTIC STUDIOS

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 06:18:47 PM »

Hi SBOVIS,

separate inventory is natively supported by WME (you use per actor inventory). Stats screen is easy one too as it's a matter of simple object. The same is for the magic system. What I find more complex is the actual world. If you don't want to use for each gaming screen a separate scene, you should implement the system games like DM used.

In DM they have a map system where each room is composed of 3x3 tiles. Those tiles are references to sprites and the game screen is composed of them (similar system was btw. used in Wizardry 7 for example). Then you define in this map interactive sprites etc. While this is very much possible to do in WME maybe you could find an engine which would be more prepared to do this very special way of scene approaching without too much scripting.

If you want to use separate scene for every game view you'll end up with thousands of game scenes.

Hope this helps.

J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

SBOVIS

• Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • LIMBO of the LOST
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 07:10:47 AM »

Thanks metamorphium,
                               So I would have 3 actors (all invisible) which would use 3 inventories by default in WME? Coooool this would help, did not know this.

Regarding the world I was thinking of one scene broken down into views in a wrap around 360 background, this way the player could look all the way around (turn on the spot) the right end of the screen would wrap to the left end (if possible???)  :D

This way items and monsters in the scene would occupy one space rather than 4 seperates scenes for one room - front, left, right, behind

Thanks for your thoughts..........anyone else got any ideas to do this??
kind Regards
Steve Bovis
MAJESTIC STUDIOS

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 07:26:17 AM »

Regarding the world I was thinking of one scene broken down into views in a wrap around 360 background, this way the player could look all the way around (turn on the spot) the right end of the screen would wrap to the left end (if possible???)  :D

What you are describing, if I understand you, is a 360 degrees node based interface. I'm afraid it wouldn't look good. It's possible to wrap images to create a huge horizontal scene that "closes" at some point but you won't have the proper perspective.

Native support for 360 panoramas is included in "adventure maker" and the home made engine they used for scratches (you can find the engine at their website).
fl*p

SBOVIS

• Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • LIMBO of the LOST
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 07:33:14 AM »

oh ok, thanks odnorf for the heads up  ::rock
kind Regards
Steve Bovis
MAJESTIC STUDIOS

SBOVIS

• Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • LIMBO of the LOST
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 10:07:45 AM »

Odnorf, you mentioned an engine, are you referring to the scratches engine or adventure Maker? As I cannot find the engine for scratches on the http://www.nucleosys.com web site.

Would like to have a look at a 360 panaramic adventure engine :-)

Thanks
kind Regards
Steve Bovis
MAJESTIC STUDIOS

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 03:25:11 PM »

The Scratches engine is called SCream. You can find its forum here: http://www.nucleosys.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=11
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

SBOVIS

• Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • LIMBO of the LOST
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 04:50:24 PM »

Ah ok, I have looked at this now, looks very basic and not much goes on in the screens, I downloaded the scratches demo too, and did not like this at all, was very boring to play and watch. WME much better!!!  ;D
kind Regards
Steve Bovis
MAJESTIC STUDIOS

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 08:13:25 PM »

Well the design goals of SCream and WME are quite different. Even though I didn't play Scratches, I think Agustin deserves praise for making the engine publicly available and for supporting it.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.