Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

IRC channel - server: waelisch.de  channel: #wme (read more)

Author Topic: Calibrating monitor  (Read 8439 times)

MadCat

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Calibrating monitor
« on: October 12, 2007, 09:36:20 AM »

Hi all!

Everybody knows that the same image would be have somehow different perception at various monitors.
Someone have more bright and warm picture, and so on. Surely it depends on personal preferences.

As it for developer, the important thing is to calibrate "right" his monitor to have a "right" image in order to create "average" (brightness, contrast, color) picture, that can be view "as is" at another calibrated monitor, and the "end user" can achieve a desired picture with his tuning...

I know several programs, that can be usefull to calibrate your monitor for you or your printer.
But I don't know a way to calibrate monitor for creating pictures for other people.

Does anyone know something about solving that problem?

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
Re: Calibrating monitor
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 09:53:24 AM »

When you calibrate you monitor you do so for one device (unless you use different profiles). It's not really logical to calibrate you monitor for 1000s of other monitors. The best bet is to just use what is considered the most common settings and that is to set it at 6500K & high constract without messing with the individual color channels. And of course you can have a brightness/darkness set up screen in you game settings. Anything else would be an overkill imo and it won't work in reality.
fl*p

MadCat

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 10:46:29 AM »

Thx!

PS. I remembered there may be special pictures with descriptions for calibrating monitors (for example: there must be seen that and that, object must be have bright orange color and so on). Somewhere I saw such pictures. I'll try to find out and may be it will be helpfull.

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 11:16:16 AM »

There are but it's an overkill if you plan to add such a picture as a calibration option inside your game settings. You'll scare your clients/players. The brightness/darkness calibration option is enough in most cases.
fl*p

sychron

• Wanderer zwischen den Welten
  • Global Moderator
  • Regular poster
  • There is no spoon. The enemy gate is down!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 01:36:21 PM »

Try using the sRGB Color Space Profile. You can activate it for almost any graphics card (under windows: right click on desktop, properties, settings tab, advanced button, color management) and you can activate it in good applications like Photoshop etc. This profile is a good "average" for monitor perception and color reproduction.

If your monitor supports sRGB by Hardware, you're on the lucky side. If not, get a standard monitor calibration tool and calibrate your monitor after setting the profile. Matrox and Nvidia cards provide that tool, I think ATI does, too.

It is always a good Idea to use color color management for color dependent design.
... delete the inner sleep ...

MadCat

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 07:07:54 AM »

There are but it's an overkill if you plan to add such a picture as a calibration option inside your game settings. You'll scare your clients/players. The brightness/darkness calibration option is enough in most cases.
I want to calibrate monitor in order to get a "right" picture for myself, not in game options.

However, I didn't find out how to change brightness and contrast in game (was searching manual, will try the forum).

2 sychron.
That is what I did already, for example:

http://www.platki.ru/eng/advice/faqe/montest/
http://www.imaging-resource.com/ARTS/MONCAL/CALIBRATE.HTM
http://www.fsc-soft.com/agc.htm

I think, that is enough... Nothing more can be reached for now.

2 All:
Thanks again.

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 08:48:02 AM »

@MadCat

Those brightness/darkness calibration options in games usually ask the player to calibrate his monitor according to an image you show and the instructions you give. And to that I was referring.
fl*p

MadCat

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 05:51:46 AM »

OK.

TheDerman

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 03:36:19 PM »

And of course you can have a brightness/darkness set up screen in you game settings. Anything else would be an overkill imo and it won't work in reality.

Can we do this in WME? I noticed my game running quite bright on another monitor, so being able to change the brightness in-game would be good I think.

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 03:52:05 PM »

@TheDerman

I hope you haven't misunderstood me. I'm not talking about script methods here. But you can create a scene with black and white rectangles. With written instructions in the same screen with something like "For your best experience... blah blah... this rectangle must be pure black, this rectangle etc etc". It's not something unusual. Many games have used this method in the past. At least you are giving the player a chance.
fl*p

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 23 queries.