Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: Inventory and Interface questions  (Read 3132 times)

Mr_Threepwood

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Inventory and Interface questions
« on: October 13, 2007, 12:01:30 AM »

Hello, recently I've been trying to design a Lucas Arts type of gui for my game.  I have the basic structure for the how the GUI will function working right, but right now I've got one thing which may not be a problem, but it is bugging me.

Currently I have it set up so that I have the main GUI split up into two separate windows, one that has all of the buttons and the status label on it, and another that has the inventory window on it.  So I'm wondering if there's a better way to do this so that I have both of the windows in one window.  I understand that inventory windows are somewhat special so I've been having a hard time figuring out how to deal with this.

If I do have the two windows merged I still need to have all of the functionality of a normal window, since the button clicks that happen in the window have to change a few global variables, and potentially change the status label.

sychron

• Wanderer zwischen den Welten
  • Global Moderator
  • Regular poster
  • There is no spoon. The enemy gate is down!
    • View Profile
Re: Inventory and Interface questions
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 02:02:49 AM »

I cannot figure out exactly why you need a one-window-gui for your game, so I assume it's for design reasons.

Technically the inventory itself has to be an inventory "box" controlled by wme. But you can make this box transparent and place it over a full-screen-width gui window -- hope that helps.
... delete the inner sleep ...

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Jyujinkai's WME Development Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 04:01:34 AM »

please post a screen capture of what you mean i do not understand your needs.
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 12:41:56 PM »

The window used by the inventory box is actually a normal window. The only differences are that 1) the items are painted over it 2) there are the special "prev" and "next" buttons used to scroll the items. But other than that, you can use this embedded window just like any other window. It can contain other buttons and controls which can be linked to a script.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Mr_Threepwood

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 10:58:20 PM »

OK thanks, that's pretty much what I wanted to know.  I think that for convenience sake I'll just move everything I have into the one inventory GUI then.

The problem I was having doing it the other (putting the inv over the other GUI) way is that the z order of the windows made it so that the inventory was being painted behind my other GUI, thus making it impossible to see what items the character had.  I'm sure theres an easy way to solve that with Wintermute, but I like to idea of having everything in one GUI since I'm trying to keep things simple for now.

So if I'm doing everything with the inventory GUI, I don't have to do any loading of windows I assume to display it, I just have to use the Game.InventoryActive (or whatever it's called, I don't have Wintermute on the computer I'm currently using) to make sure that my GUI is being displayed.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 19 queries.