Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: Transition between animation channels  (Read 4112 times)

Derrek3D

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Transition between animation channels
« on: November 18, 2007, 10:40:33 AM »

Should AnimTransitionTime or SetAnimTransitionTime work for smoothing animations between different animation channels of a 3D actor?

What I'm trying to do is playing a simple head-movement animation, from time to time, while the idle animation is playing. Since the idle animation plays on channel 0, I play the head-movement animation on channel 1 so that the two animations play together:

Code: [Select]
Actor.PlayAnimChannelAsync(1, "HeadMovement")
Now although it works pretty well (the actor moves its head while still playing the idle animation), there is still one problem. When the head-movement animation ends, the head snaps back to its position on the idle animation, which may be different than the end position of the head-movement animation. The result effect is that sometimes (depending on when during the idle animation the head-movement animation started) the actor's head jerks when the head-movement animation ends and it looks very unnatural (for a healthy person at least ;D).

Am I doing something wrong here? ??? How should the head move back to its position in the idle animation after playing its own specialized short animation?

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Transition between animation channels
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 11:10:47 AM »

No, the transitions only work within one channel. Multiple channels are not blended.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Derrek3D

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 12:33:03 PM »

No, the transitions only work within one channel. Multiple channels are not blended.
Ok... hours of testing just went flying out the window... :(

Is this by definition, by the way, that the smooth blending works only in the same channel? If so, is there a reasoning behind it? (and I mean other than "because it's coded that way" :))

On a more practical note, is there another way to add small animations onto an underlying playing animation (like walk/talk/idle)? I mean, when the talk animation is playing, for instance, the character should make gestures with his hands at certain points to look believable, so what's the correct way of doing this?

And now that I think of it, what's the intended purpose of the animation channels?

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 01:44:08 PM »

Is this by definition, by the way, that the smooth blending works only in the same channel? If so, is there a reasoning behind it? (and I mean other than "because it's coded that way" :))
Because it would be hell to synchronize all the animation transitions in all the channels simultaneously?
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Derrek3D

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 03:26:40 PM »

Because it would be hell to synchronize all the animation transitions in all the channels simultaneously?
Ok, fair enough. Can't argue with that logic ;D

But I still need to know, is there no way in WME to smoothly play *one* special animation on top on an already playing animation, like in the example of a hand gesture at a certain point while talking? If it's possible after all, can someone explain how?

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Jyujinkai's WME Development Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 09:52:19 PM »

no
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.