Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Trouble with 3D actor turning animations  (Read 2831 times)

Derrek3D

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Trouble with 3D actor turning animations
« on: November 19, 2007, 10:02:50 AM »

Hello,

I'm having some trouble with the turning animations of my 3D actor. I would appreciate it if someone could post some guidelines on how such animations should look like. For example, should they really turn the actor around or should they instead perform some in-place animation like the walking animation does? Will the engine still turn the actor around on his axis, once turning animations are defined for that actor, or will it leave that to the animation itself? How is it that such animations work and look fine for small angles but also for large angles?

Has anyone seen Overclocked yet? I checked out the German demo (http://download.house-of-tales.com/demos/OverclockedDemo_DE.exe) and the actor over there has some pretty neat turning animations. Does anybody know how should the actual animations look like in order to achieve such a turning effect?

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Jyujinkai's WME Development Blog
Re: Trouble with 3D actor turning animations
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 11:59:35 AM »

I found that a turning animation all you need is a slight leg/foot "shuffle", on the spot.
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

Derrek3D

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 01:36:05 PM »

Well... I don't know... It looks a lot more elaborate than a slight leg/foot shuffle in the Overclocked demo... The whole body takes part in the turning animation. But you do seem to confirm my initial guess that the turning animation should be on the spot, without actually turning the actor. Is this correct?

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 01:41:42 PM »

Yes, all the animations in WME must be in-place. All the movements and rotations is handled by the engine.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 19 queries.