Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: Lighting Problem  (Read 4045 times)

Derrek3D

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Lighting Problem
« on: December 09, 2007, 02:49:17 PM »

I want to be able to illuminate my actor with a very strong light. I placed a strong spotlight in Max, but no matter what I do, the light from that spotlight looks somewhat weak when seen in WME. Has anyone encountered such problem? How can I show the light from a spotlight in its full original intensity? Or more in general, how do I illuminate the actor with a very strong light?

And while we're talking about lighting, what are activity and falloff? I read about them in another thread and I wanted to know what they mean and how to control them in Max/WME?

Derrek3D

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Re: Lighting Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 10:48:52 AM »

I'm bumping this thread because I haven't been able to work it out by myself and I still need help, and also because I wanted to add a new but related question.

Do decoration regions work for 3D actors? It didn't work for me and I'm not sure if it's supposed to or not. In case it's not supposed to, is there another way of masking the 3D actor with a semi-transparent color overlay? I tried the AmbientLightColor of the scene but it affected the actor only slightly (mostly his face and hands but not his clothes, which are darker in comparison).

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 03:18:43 PM »

Do decoration regions work for 3D actors?
No, although it's been suggested that 3D actors could utilize the decoration region colors to change their ambient lighting based on their position within scene.

I tried the AmbientLightColor of the scene but it affected the actor only slightly (mostly his face and hands but not his clothes, which are darker in comparison).
I believe your artist can affect this by changing the material settings of the model parts (ambient color).
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Jyujinkai's WME Development Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 01:11:04 PM »

I tried the AmbientLightColor of the scene but it affected the actor only slightly (mostly his face and hands but not his clothes, which are darker in comparison).
I believe your artist can affect this by changing the material settings of the model parts (ambient color).

Yea, u can trigger material changes on the model based on regions.... so you can manually edit your textures to match the lighting change you want to reflect on the model. Remember that lighting set up can darken or lighten the model... but i do not think you can change the model colour any other way.

I havn't thought of this it is a good idea... say your standing next to a glowing green thing.... but i am not sure how you would make the model with the new texture chnages exclusive to the scene... you may need a completely new .x file with the new materials?
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

redfox

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 10:34:22 PM »

Hello,

How many lights can you have in a hidden geometry file?

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Jyujinkai's WME Development Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 02:45:55 AM »

as many as you want
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 09:29:43 AM »

...as long as you're not using hardware T&L. If you do, the number of simultaneously active lights is limited by the video card, typically about 8 lights are supported.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.