Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: Water animations - any ideas?  (Read 5985 times)

Kaz

• Arberth Studios
  • Regular poster
  • The story is the game
    • View Profile
    • Info on 'Rhiannon' & 'Coven'
Water animations - any ideas?
« on: January 06, 2008, 08:18:30 PM »

Hi all,

We have ponds and streams in our game and we're using particle emitters to animate them. The effect is good, but not perfect (although we realise that could be down to the accuracy of the sprite we're using). Anybody got any ideas for ways to effectively animate water?

For example - the particle emitter imposes an effect on top of the water in a 2D picture - could we perhaps move the pixels in the scene directly, the way it's done in Adventure Maker for instance?

Thanks,

Kaz
\"Fans of popular horror adventures like Scratches and Barrow Hill should start bracing themselves for another haunting experience, as independent developer Arberth Studios has announced production on its debut title Rhiannon - Curse of the Four Branches.\" - AdventureGamers.com

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
Re: Water animations - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 08:52:41 PM »

I can think of two ways of having water effects appart from particles. The first is using a theora video and the second is to use a wme plugin in combination with sprites to have a semi-random water distortion.
fl*p

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 09:23:27 PM »

I've written displacement plugin for this some time ago, but I've lost it together with sources somewhere. :(
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Jyujinkai's WME Development Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 06:16:52 AM »

i'd be interested to see this partical method in action. We have been using theora video loops for things like wind blowing plants , waving curtains, flags, water movment, etc etc etc
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 11:24:56 AM »

if anyone downloaded the dll file back then, please put it somewhere and I'll host it on other site.
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 11:31:24 AM »

The DLL is part of Nihil's Beyond the Threshold game.
And I don't think you ever released sources.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

TommyWright

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 07:06:48 PM »

I would seperate your water element into a pass and take it into a compositing program like Digital Fusion or After Effects.  There you can blend the first and last frames to have a smoother loop.  Dynamics and Particles are difficult to loop because they generate on a seed and unless your software knows to end the animation exactly where it began, it will pop.

SBOVIS

• Frequent poster
  • FORGET REALITY SURRENDER TO YOUR DARKEST DREAMS
    • View Profile
    • LIMBO of the LOST
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 05:28:25 PM »

Hi,
     Try creating the effect outside of WME by using this nice utility.

http://www.xiberpix.net/SqirlzReflect.html

Then save as individual frames and create entity sprites for your scene or convert the AVI to THEORA. Simple but effective!  ::thumbup

kind Regards
Steve Bovis
MAJESTIC STUDIOS

Kaz

• Arberth Studios
  • Regular poster
  • The story is the game
    • View Profile
    • Info on 'Rhiannon' & 'Coven'
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 07:44:01 PM »

Thanks for all the replies.

We've downloaded the SqirlzReflect utility and it's really useful. Bit worried at first that it would spoil the reflections that we'd already placed in the water scenes but if you set the transparency option to 100% it just moves the pixels around on the reflections you have created rather than superimposing its own. The individual frames can then be saved as jpgs or pngs and a sprite made as was suggested. So it looks like we have a solution.

All ideas much appreciated.

Kaz
\"Fans of popular horror adventures like Scratches and Barrow Hill should start bracing themselves for another haunting experience, as independent developer Arberth Studios has announced production on its debut title Rhiannon - Curse of the Four Branches.\" - AdventureGamers.com

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.