Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: Speech Preload  (Read 3006 times)

Derrek3D

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Speech Preload
« on: January 23, 2008, 02:22:27 PM »

Hello,

I have one scene that is very heavy on animation and particles and I take special care in that scene not to load anything from file while this scene is running. Even if I load a small file (e.g.  an ogg sound file), sometimes I can see the particles stutter for a short moment. This is, of course, why the LoadSound(Filename) method exists in the first place but I wanted to ask about speech now. I use Talk() with a string table ID and I would like to add speech sound files in the speech directory to be played automatically by the Talk() method. Will I experience the same slowdown that I experience if I use PlaySound(Filename)? If so, how can I go around this? Will I have to write my own Talk method and use LoadSound(Filename) and PlaySound() to play the speech lines while combining it with the original Talk() method? Is there any preload of speech sound files that I don't know of?

redfox

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
Re: Speech Preload
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 03:09:12 PM »

I think you can only load one sound per entity.

The lag caused by the loading of .ogg files is something that I have noticed getting worse with each new build released of the engine. Has the. ogg code been changing or updated? 

Testing original scenes with previous versions of the engine showed scenes that used to load and play the same sound files without problem, now cause particles to jump or actors animations to be interrupted when an ogg files is loaded and played.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 04:23:57 PM »

Has the. ogg code been changing or updated? 
No, it hasn't changed at all ???
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

redfox

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 03:23:26 PM »

Perhaps memory management has changed?

I wondered if there is a preferred audio ogg format, as there are many different options when creating oggs. Does the engine favour a set bit rate or sample rate Hz, or compression value?

Unfortunately, because of the lag on loading audio ogg, I have had to convert sound back to Wav, in scenes where ogg loading was affecting with the playback of the game particles and 3D actors animations.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 19 queries.