Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: Z-order guiding needed :)  (Read 4283 times)

kypho

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Z-order guiding needed :)
« on: October 26, 2008, 08:31:11 PM »

Hi everybody!

I could need a quick lecture about z-ordering. Just the basics for the start :)..How to use that infernal thing and how to use MoveToBottom() function for example and all those other functions as well.  ::slug

So the setup is like this. I have a sprite entity called "Gate" and I would like that to be on the bottom so that the actor can't go behind that gate. How do I control the z-order for this Gate I have? I have gate.script which contains the code of this gate and I think that I should put some code more to here, but don't know how. I tried to use that MoveToBottom() function, but all I get is error to my log  O0 ...heh.

Thnx already!

- Kypho the beginner

ps. when I get something done with this fantastic engine, I will let you see too ;)

Catacomber

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
  • I love mice.
    • View Profile
    • Catacomber.com
Re: Z-order guiding needed :)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 04:14:09 AM »

There is some info about ordering here:

http://docs.dead-code.org/

"Inside a game scene creation"---there is also mention about this in the WME book online--my understanding is that the z depth of regions is ordered from top to bottom in the Layout screen but for your gate it might be that a blocked region might work--not sure.  You'd have to try it.

I just discovered all the scripting commands--they're in the wme documentation online but I don't think there's enough room in the forum to explain them all--the best way is trial and error.   :)  I certainly couldn't explain them all -- : )  But I'm really glad they're listed there so I can try and err sometime.  : )  Right now I'm happy working through the tutorials.  : )  Problems and mistakes are my friend as that's how I get to take things apart and figure out how things work.  : )
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 05:08:51 AM by Catacomber »
http://www.catacomber.com/
Code: WME Script
  1. Mnemonic is wonderful.

kypho

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 04:02:47 PM »

Aaah, it was so simple to me :) it is just the order of things in *.scene file :D...I was thinking to use some difficult code to make that work, but now I could get it working much more easier, thanks again for your guidance and this engine. Btw I tried to find help file about that thing, but of course cos I was lazy to read I missed it  ::wave ...Now my character stands before the door as he should!

- Kypho the beginner

Catacomber

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
  • I love mice.
    • View Profile
    • Catacomber.com
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 04:25:24 PM »

:)  Looking forward to a screenshot of your game. 
http://www.catacomber.com/
Code: WME Script
  1. Mnemonic is wonderful.

kypho

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 06:53:36 PM »

hehe catacomber...my game is not so good looking (yet), it's about the police quest 2 quality :P:P:P C:-)

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.