Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Getting Started  (Read 4413 times)

Diaf

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Getting Started
« on: March 28, 2009, 01:03:19 PM »

OK I have finished making some 3D models that are animated and exported into the .X format and I figure its time to see if I can get them to run in the engine. And I'm having a lot of trouble.

It seems that upon started a new project it must use the molly/room template. I'm not sure if I've done something wrong but this seems to start me off with some scripts set to expect the 2D molly and not my own actors.

So I delete the molly actor and try to create a new 3D actor. Again it seems that I can't make one unless it is based on the existing Trinity model. Fine, I replace the .x file with mine, put the textures in the right folder and change the names in the script files and I can see my model on the preview.

Since I haven't gotten around to making a scene yet I just import the 3d demo 'front' scene and try to boot up the game in which I get a ton of run time errors.

What is the best way to start off a new game? Must you have your own scene in which to test your models? Is there another way to start a new project or 3D model without basing it off a template?

Any help would be great.

Catacomber

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
  • I love mice.
    • View Profile
    • Catacomber.com
Re: Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 02:19:32 AM »

I haven't tried to use WME for 3d models yet so I can't help you a great deal. But my suggestion is to start your own new game.

In the actor file where there used to be Molly, put your actor and code the game to accept your actor instead of Molly (or call your actor Molly).  There are instructions to help you in the WME online book and in the documentation.

And then post any script errors you get in your WME file here.  Script errors are a great jumping off spot to solve your problems.  I saw another post like this a long time ago so if you search "Trinity" you might get some hits that will help you.  I think that person said about the same thing you are saying so it should be solveable.
http://www.catacomber.com/
Code: WME Script
  1. Mnemonic is wonderful.

Diaf

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 04:34:52 AM »

OK so what I did was start a new project. Deleted the molly actor and created a new 3D actor based on Trinity called 'AmazingInch'. I deleted all her textures and replaced her .X file with my model's and added his texture. He doesn't have any animations yet so I deleted the animation section in the act3d file and also changed the scale to 90. When I highlight the act3d file I see my model in the preview spinning and in tact.

I assume since its a 3D actor I need some geometry so I have double clicked on the room.scene and on the 3d tab and imported the geometry.3DS from the 'front' room in the 3D demo.

I've gone to the game.script and changed it to Game.LoadActor3D() and made sure it is pointing at my files.

Now when I boot the game up I get no errors, but I do not see my 3d actor anywhere.

Catacomber

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
  • I love mice.
    • View Profile
    • Catacomber.com
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 05:37:59 AM »

See if anything here helps you if not---hopefully someone will come through.  :  )

http://forum.dead-code.org/index.php?topic=2303.0
http://www.catacomber.com/
Code: WME Script
  1. Mnemonic is wonderful.

Diaf

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 06:19:19 AM »

Looking through that thread and most of the answers given are stuff I figured out.

If I go into my actor folder and rename my actor and create a new actor called the same thing as my original but keeping the original 3D Trinity Model then everything works fine.

It seems to have a problem with my 3D model. Does your model have to have a walk animation before it will show up because I don't have any animations defined yet.

mylesblasonato

• Developer
  • Frequent poster
  • "Give up is to fail as sacrifice is to succeed"
    • View Profile
    • Royal Wins
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 01:25:12 PM »

Hi Diaf,

Ok so their are 3 main things for bringing in a model.
1) You MUST export as a .X
2) You NEED to have a geometry file.
3) You must use the LoadActor3D() method to load your 3D characters and not the LoadActor() method which is used for 2D characters.

If you have done this and still have problems, then it could be a number of different things that is causing the problems.
1) Faulty Geometry file.
2) Faulty character textures (I know it sounds wierd but it has happened in the past).
3) Faulty character Geometry.

Hope this helps.
You'll figure out the problem eventually and probably laugh at the simplicity of the solution.

Cheers ::beer
Myles Blasonato.
Lead Game Designer, Royal Wins.
@mylesblasonato
@royalwins
http://au.linkedin.com/pub/myles-blasonato/26/600/a38

Diaf

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 08:55:45 AM »

The geometry should be fine as it is the one from the 3D demo.

I just noticed something weird though, if I open project man and open my project, navigate the files into my actor folder and select my .act3d file then nothing appears in the preview panel. If I then navigate to the other actor folder containing the trinity template files and highlight the trinity.act3d file she appears in the preview pane and starts spinning. Now if I go back and re select my .act3d file my model appears and spins.

Its like for some reason it can't show my model unless it shows trinity first? This might be related to why the program can't show my model. Any ideas?

Edit: OK once I realised this I went and made a new global actor variable and initiased it with my act3d file. I then wrote in scene_init.script to place my new actor in the scene too. And amazingly enough my 3d model appears in the game. This seems to be only as long as trinity is loaded first and I cannot set it to make my model the default actor. Does this spark anything in anyone?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 09:08:03 AM by Diaf »

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 09:43:38 AM »

That's weird indeed. Are you getting any errors in wme.log file (or in the debug console)?
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Diaf

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 10:47:01 AM »

At the moment the only error I'm getting in the debug console is 'cannot find 'idle' in the model as I have yet to work out how to include different animations in a .X file.

We are also having trouble getting our animations to play. When viewing them in the Direct X Model Viewer, everything seems to be fine and the animation plays. We have tried playing the animation in the WME Model viewer. (http://forum.dead-code.org/index.php?topic=3490.0) but we cannot get the animation to play in there no matter what.

Does this suggest that there may be something wrong with out rig?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 10:09:09 AM by Diaf »

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.