Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: Blender Bones Setup  (Read 2998 times)

rens

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Blender Bones Setup
« on: February 15, 2010, 05:31:58 AM »

Hi  ;)

Well, i work on Blender. I'm rigging a character, and before going farther. I would like to have some advice.

Here's some questions :

1) Can use Inverse Kinematics to animate my character ?

2) Is there a limit in the number of bones ?

I found some answers on BlenderArtist.org.

But, i'm still confused.

Well, Thank you for any advice and Good Bye !

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Blender Bones Setup
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 10:49:13 AM »

You can use IK for animating the character in Blender (or any other method), but when exporting to .X format, the animation is sampled to fixed keyframes anyway. The engine doesn't compute IK.
As for number of bones, since the animations are calculated in CPU, there's no limit (but of course, the more bones, the more computations are necessary).
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

rens

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 10:55:49 AM »

Ok, Thank you  :)

rens

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 05:13:03 PM »

Hi again,

Sorry, to disturb again with such questions. But, i looked for answers nearly everywhere, and found nothing.

This question might seems simple and obvious, but i would like to be sure.

In my first post, when i asked if there was a limit in the number of bones, we did not specify which bones.

Because, in Blender and certainly, in others 3D modeling programs, there is several "types" of bones.

There are bones which modify the mesh geometry, and others, used by the animator, to control those bones.

I understand, that is not the best place to ask this question, i should have asked the person who conceived the exporter, but, unfortunately, i don't know his address... That is why i am asking here.

Indeed, i use many controllers, and i would not like to be annoyed. I'm a little bit far-sighted sorry, but rigging a character takes time, especially when we are not expert  :).

I understand, that you cannot know exactly, because it is a specific question mainly related to the exporter. But, as "Wintermute", loads these files, i thought that you could have an idea.

Personally, i think that those bones are not used during the game, and even not exported from Blender, as those bones, are just used by the animator to pose his characters, more easily. But, as i said, i would like to be sure.

Thanks in advance,

Good Bye,  
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 05:29:51 PM by rens »

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 19 queries.