Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

IRC channel - server: waelisch.de  channel: #wme (read more)

Author Topic: a question about languages  (Read 3563 times)

gypsysnail

• Lurker
    • View Profile
a question about languages
« on: April 28, 2010, 07:40:24 PM »

Hi, I'm a newbie here and I have tried the search but not much info on what I want to ask.

I read the Wintermute features page but I really don't understand fully which language I should focus on to learn so I can create my game. I have written a game and designed the graphics, but I am a beginner in programming at this point. I know it says javascript, c-type languages, php, but which language should I actually focus on for the nature of the game which is a role playing adventure game (like the sierra games and modern games like Runaway: A road Adventure and So Blonde) and it being a long length game... I'd like some direction. I really hope this isn't a silly question, so sorry in advance if it is. I also thought javascript and php were really internet/web based application programming languages? This game I am making won't be web-based, but downloadable and saved to the hard drive or on a cd rom. If anyone can help, that would be so much appreciated :)

gypsysnail

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: a question about languages
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 05:45:45 AM »

Annoyed here!! 16 views and NO REPLY!!!!!!!!!???????????????????????? PLEASE can someone kindly reply to my question?????? At least be honest if you thought it was a stupid question. I am a newbie thanks a lot!!! >:(  >:(

mylesblasonato

• Developer
  • Frequent poster
  • "Give up is to fail as sacrifice is to succeed"
    • View Profile
    • Royal Wins
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 08:26:14 AM »

Hi there :)
So I've been around the forum for a bit now and while I don't think your question is a stupid one I do believe that it's a question that an absolute begginer at using engines or doing any programming would ask. I suggest learning something easy like flash or c# to understand some core concepts and then try looking at game programming as it's different in it's structure and the come back and use the WME scripting language. WME has it's own language that is based around c/c++. Once again WME has it's OWN scripting language that you can learn to use right now just by doing the tutorials contained within WME's help file.

Hope that helps.
Cheers  ::beer
Myles Blasonato.
Lead Game Designer, Royal Wins.
@mylesblasonato
@royalwins
http://au.linkedin.com/pub/myles-blasonato/26/600/a38

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 08:30:10 AM »

Patience is a virtue. You think 10 hours is a long time in a forum where people are from different countries and they sleep when you post?

WME is using its own scripting language that has syntax similar to those you mentioned. You don't really need to know any language. Knowing the syntax and understand how things work (logic behind variables, loops etc) should be enough to begin with.
fl*p

gypsysnail

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 11:01:06 AM »

Thanks odnorf and mylesb, I will go and learn some more of C# and flash, I've been learning some xhtml and java and realised some of the engine language is similar to it. U have confirmed what I thought I need to do.

Yes sorry I wasn't patient, and did think someone would have answered within a few hours as other forums had quickly answered, so apologies.

Thanks again :)

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.