Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: Z-index for free entities?  (Read 2513 times)

Abram

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Z-index for free entities?
« on: March 19, 2012, 08:46:42 PM »

Hello! I just downloaded Wintermute Engine a couple days ago and am currently figuring out how it all works, with the help of the online tutorials. I have already run into some issues, so I may be looking for help in this forum quite a bit!

First of all, is it possible to set a z-index property for free entities? Here's the situation: I made a simple test room with a table, on top of which is a book. If I make the table and book regular entities, they're always drawn on top of my stick-figure actor. So they must be set as free entities, right? Wrong?

When making the table and book free entities, the table is always drawn on top of the book, no matter if I add the table first or the book first.

How can I make the book be drawn on top of the table? I've looked in the documentation and haven't found a solution.

Thanks!

Spellbreaker

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Apeiron Studios
Re: Z-index for free entities?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 08:59:31 PM »

You should read "Step 6" in the WME Help :

"The free entities act just like actors, they are being drawn depending on where in the scene they are placed (in other words, in which region they are standing). This might sound confusing at first but we will learn how it really works."

If you place a free entity for example in the floor region of the actor, it depends on the hotspots of the sprites. example : Actor Y Hotspot is < than entites hotspot: entity will be drawn on top of actor. Actor Y hotspot > entity Y hotspto: actor will be drawn on top of entity.

Same goes of course for free enties them self. they are drawn in order of the Y coordinate of the hotspot.

I hope I wrote everything right :)

Abram

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Z-index for free entities?
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 01:33:58 AM »

Oh, I see! I didn't get the significance of the hot spot at first, but now it makes more sense. Thanks for the help!

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.