Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Does WME supports normal maps?  (Read 5009 times)

sleepermt

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Does WME supports normal maps?
« on: August 17, 2013, 12:43:18 AM »

Hi, i am new to the WME.

i want to know if WME supports normal maps? Also, what is optimal polycount for a 3d character?

anarchist

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
Re: Does WME supports normal maps?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 04:37:14 PM »

Hello. I think you should make your question more clear as I am not sure what exactly you need.

For my main map, I use a separate scene. I put my map as a background image and create region entities for the locations on the map. You can use any image for background, which means you can use a real map. Hope this answers your question.

sleepermt

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 05:48:10 PM »

Hi, thanks for reply. I am working on a 3d character model that will be used in a game made in a WME. I am new to WME, and i would like to know does it support normal maping on a 3d model.

Normal map is used for adding detials, like bumps and dents, using less poligons. I am sure someone on this forum knows what normal maps are.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 10:38:27 AM by sleepermt »

dongo

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 08:48:11 PM »

you speak about uv maps to make a texture??? like this--->http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/59/arrs.jpg/

appaul

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 04:21:46 AM »

Hi, thanks for reply. I am working on a 3d character model that will be used in a game made in a WME. I am new to WME, and i would like to know does it support normal maping on a 3d model.

Normal map is used for adding detials, like bumps and dents, using less poligons. I am sure someone on this forum knows what normal maps are.
Short answer is no. But if you know any HLSL, you can create custom shaders and include normal maps in there - though it's going to be a bit of a task since you'd have to calculate binormals and tangents yourself, since wintermute doesn't.

As for polycount, there's too many factors to consider. How crowded is the scene, how close are you to the character, shaders, texture maps, lights(?), etc. The easiest and probably most accurate way is to just benchmark it. See what you can get away with on your system or the expected system of your target audience.
Since this isn't really a 3d engine (there's absolutely no optimization - no LODs, etc.) it's probably safe to just aim as low as you can.

sleepermt

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 09:43:28 AM »

Hi, thanks for your replies

you speak about uv maps to make a texture??? like this--->http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/59/arrs.jpg/

No, i speak about this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_mapping

Short answer is no. But if you know any HLSL, you can create custom shaders and include normal maps in there - though it's going to be a bit of a task since you'd have to calculate binormals and tangents yourself, since wintermute doesn't.

As for polycount, there's too many factors to consider. How crowded is the scene, how close are you to the character, shaders, texture maps, lights(?), etc. The easiest and probably most accurate way is to just benchmark it. See what you can get away with on your system or the expected system of your target audience.
Since this isn't really a 3d engine (there's absolutely no optimization - no LODs, etc.) it's probably safe to just aim as low as you can.

Programing HSlS? :) Well, that is way beyond my possibilities. I'll see with the dev guys about that.
Polycount - the only things that will be 3d are characters, and i believe that there will be not more than three of them in one scene. So i am aiming for 3k poligon characters - 9-10 k per scene max, if this will not make engiene go crazy. I hoped for normal maps, so i can have more freedom artistically, and not worry too much about polycount.

Anyway, many thanks for ur reply. It helped.

Cheers

Azrael

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Mad Orange
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 10:12:36 AM »

For our game we try to keep a max ok 15/16k poligons per scene and it seem to work. Keep in mind that also the geometry of the scene count.

sleepermt

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 03:33:05 PM »

For our game we try to keep a max ok 15/16k poligons per scene and it seem to work. Keep in mind that also the geometry of the scene count.

Oh, ok! Thank you Azrael

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.