Game development > Game design

unique adventures, new ways

<< < (2/4) > >>

Nihil:
Oh, one new thing I forgot: there came out an Adventure recently where you had to sign-up on an internet-site to play it, and from time to time you got a mail from them with new informations regarding the story, and newsletter articles on the page and stuff like that ... I forgot the name of the game, but it sounded interesting.

Nihil:

--- Quote from: gfx johnny on June 10, 2004, 12:43:14 PM ---I think a multiplayer mode in an adventure would be interesting, but that's too much for me.

--- End quote ---

I can understand that :-)

--- Quote --- I want to create something like a classic adventure, but with a new way to control and solve it. I guess one adventure started using verbs (text aera), and then almost every adventure just did it the same way. This kind of control is obvious, but rare masterpieces like Loom (my opinion of course) show us you can do it differently.

--- End quote ---

I see ... but I have no real idea for a new way to control the game ... I choose the very simple form of left-click = action and right-click = look at.
Not very creative, but it works :-)

--- Quote ---And i will use Wintermute, so multiplayer support had to be there, too. I think thats not a priority for Wintermute at the moment. And i wouldnt make it one, if i were Mnemonic :)
--- End quote ---

gfx johnny:

--- Quote ---I see ... but I have no real idea for a new way to control the game ... I choose the very simple form of left-click = action and right-click = look at.
Not very creative, but it works :-)
--- End quote ---
I guess i will have to do it in a similar way if im not able to come up with something both new and interesting. ;)  But its not a disadvantage, the classic control concept is approved.

After all, there are lots of possibilities to make your game special. Even if want to find a new way to control a character, i woud love to talk about other ideas in almost every area. :)

Perhaps we should speak about innovative elements of well known adventures, to find new starting points for own ideas. On the other side, perhaps we become blind about new ideas because we just try to enhance old ideas ;) Oh well, lets start! ;D

(grmbl: the super hero-idea was already done besides MM, i remember... Bureau 13, in a similar way, oh well ;))

-> the famous insult-duel of monkey island
-> use of sidekicks to solve riddles (BASS, Indy4)
-> loom and its spells instead of verbs
-> different actors with different abilities (Maniac Mansion, Bureau 13)
-> new methods of manipulation (bottle of time, Chronomaster)
-> ?   

McCoy:
Mhhh... maybe a variation of the robot or superhero thing: A character who can turn itself in animals, like some kind of power. I know there's a technical name for that in RPG but I can't remember now, well, I know it in spanish, but not in english  :-\.

But that way, for example, the character could turn into a dog, changing it human habilities for the dog's one, like bite, bark, pee, and such  ;D, or a rat, or anything needed. Maybe at first you're normal and during the adventure you acquire such power, and maybe you can't turn in anything you want, only things you've touched or something like that, having to solve puzzles to get new forms out of new animals you find, or something.

Just a rough idea  :)

Nihil:
Yes, like in the first part of Legacy of Kain, where you could transform into a wolf, Fog and some Bird if I remember correctly. That could give some cool puzzles  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version