Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Sophia's Debt demo  (Read 15072 times)

kimberk_1972

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Sophia's Debt demo
« on: September 11, 2004, 10:25:24 PM »

hi folks.

does anyone by any chance know where i can find the correct walkthrough for the Sophia's Debt Demo?

i found a walkthrough for Sophies's World...but that's it.

i am in the room where i have to talk to the guy standin there...and after talkin to the guy...turnin on the fan...pickin up the book...and openin desk drawer...i'm clueless what to do.

any help would be appreciated.

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
Re: Sophia's Debt demo
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 11:21:15 PM »

does anyone by any chance know where i can find the correct walkthrough for the Sophia's Debt Demo?
i am in the room where i have to talk to the guy standin there...and after talkin to the guy...turnin on the fan...pickin up the book...and openin desk drawer...i'm clueless what to do.

I'm helpless, too... are you seriously talking of Sofia's Debt ?

Now wait... do you mean the "old guy" ? Fan... book... desk drawer ?
Darn, you're *NOT* playing Sofia's Debt, you're playing the WME engine demo!! :) :) :)

I'm serious, please check your download, I guess you downloaded something wrong.  :D
(Doesn't "Molly" tell you in the beginning, what the demo is about ?)

(Remark: Thread of the year! :) !)
Mooh!

kimberk_1972

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 11:35:45 PM »

Molly gives me the option wheather i want her to tell me what the demo is about...(nods) and yes...i meant the old guy...i'm sorry.

if i downloaded somethin wrong...could you point me in the right direction please?

Igorrr

• Regular poster
  • Ugh...Ughugh!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Struggle For Life And Honour
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 12:18:51 AM »

USE the MONEY with the BOOK !!!

Seriously, it's just the engine Demo. It demonstrates the basics of the WME engine. It's mainly a great help for newbies to check out the source code and try to transfer those to their own game ideas.

kimberk_1972

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 12:24:16 AM »

i did the Look option and Molly said somethin about she should read the book...but she doesn't open it or anything.

Igorrr

• Regular poster
  • Ugh...Ughugh!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Struggle For Life And Honour
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 12:37:30 AM »

Sorry,
you did not download the Sofia's Debt demo but the WME Engine demo.
The WME demo is not a demo of a GAME but just of the ENGINE. There is no story and no goal. It just demonstrates the basic functions of the WME Engine.
You mainly use it as a reference as how can I make my character move, how do I do a dialogue, how are inventory items handled etc.........

This demo just exists to introduce people to the engine and show it's functionality, nothing more.
The purpose of this demo is not to promote a game, but to help people who are planning to do a game with the WME Engine with revealing the engine basics.
Meaning you look at the demo, read the source code and see how it is done.

You quase already reached the end of the demo. This is NOT really a game.

Sorry if you got confused that this was meant as a game itself.

If you are looking for Sophia's Dept, you can find it here: http://www.justadventure.com/IndependentDevs/SofiasDebt/SofiasDebt.shtm

« Last Edit: September 12, 2004, 12:40:20 AM by Igorrr »

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2004, 01:05:58 AM »

Molly gives me the option wheather i want her to tell me what the demo is about...(nods) and yes...i meant the old guy...i'm sorry.
if i downloaded somethin wrong...could you point me in the right direction please?

Nothing to be sorry about, actually I'm sorry I didn't answer that helpful.  >:(
So Igorrr already answered with the correct link, and here just a little addition - you can find a list of all currently available games, demos, etc. which were done with this engine here: http://forum.dead-code.org/index.php?topic=617.0

So... again sorry and have fun with the game.  ;D
Mooh!

kimberk_1972

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2004, 01:16:53 AM »

okay...let me play around with this a little bit...if i have anymore problems...i'll come back.

thanks for all your help...i appreciate it.

kimberk_1972

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2004, 05:35:15 AM »

i need help again folks...please.

i uninstalled and reinstalled Sophia's Debt... from the website that was posted earlier.

then downloaded and installed the Wintermute Engine Development Kit 1.2, build 044.

then i downloaded and installed WME_build_044.exe

and now wheather i click on the Game icon to start the game...in list of Programs...or in the C folder that i have the game in...it crashes.

could someone please tell me what i'm missin?

1 more question...the website says Sophia's Debt...however when i went to reinstall Sophia's Debt...i got asked if i was ready to install Sophia's Debt 2004..is there a difference between the 2 names?

anymore help would be greatly appreciated.

kimberk_1972

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2004, 06:03:04 AM »

here's what other messages i am gettin:

i get a pop up that says C:\Program Files\Sofia's Debt\WME DevKit\unins000.dat
and the error message i get says: This file doesn't have a program associated with
it for performing this action.

then it says Create an association in My Computer by clicking View and then clicking
folder options.

how do i fix this?

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2004, 09:35:48 AM »

how do i fix this?

Dou don't. Simply forget about WME demo, WME devkit etc. Those are only the development tools used to create Sofia's Debt. You DON'T need them at all. Install Sofia's Debt from the link above (http://www.justadventure.com/IndependentDevs/SofiasDebt/SofiasDebt.shtm). This will create a new group in your Start menu, called "Sofia's Debt" and there is an icon which runs the game inside this group. That's all you need.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

kimberk_1972

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2004, 10:14:17 AM »

i think i already tried that route and it didn't work...but i'll try it again...thank you.

kimberk_1972

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2004, 11:06:12 AM »

i clicked the link and as soon as i installed it and did the settings for the game...it crashed...would you happen to know why?

when i clicked Install on the Winzip window...it was goin to store in the temp or temporary folder.

but i made a new folder in C drive...could that be a problem as well?

kimberk_1972

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2004, 11:36:17 AM »

when i checked my options you have to set before you can play....it gave the name of my Display Device...then it said Color: 16 bit...i clicked the More button next to it...and it says Texture settings:

then has a check mark in the Force Texture subdivison...is this a problem that can be fixed...if so...how?

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2004, 12:32:07 PM »

Hi again!

when i checked my options you have to set before you can play....it gave the name of my Display Device...then it said Color: 16 bit...i clicked the More button next to it...and it says Texture settings:
then has a check mark in the Force Texture subdivison...is this a problem that can be fixed...if so...how?

Okay, so when you get this window, the installation should have worked fine. You don't have to care about the folder you extracted the install program to, after running the setup, the game should have been installed in your Programs folder, where you run it. I suppose you already did so.

Now to the crashes - could you please tell us, what graphic card or chip set you are using and if you know, how much memory does the card have ? Did you run the game in "hardware accleration" mode (you should be able to decide this in the settings screen) ? Current graphic cards shouldn't need the "More" settings (both checkboxes disabled) but some older ones. Do you have DirectX 8.0 or higher installed ?

Greetings, Jerrot.
Mooh!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 21 queries.